Friday, February 25, 2011

new mix

Hey All.  February is ALMOST OVER (HOOORAY!!!) however, I have yet to do any appreciate for black history month.  So here is a little mix of some of MY favorites, of course I could not include everyone, but this is just a start for you all.  Hopefully you all can jam to this stuff, as I am on this somewhat sunny Friday afternoon.
Cheers!  http://mixtape.me/p/20529
1. Sir Duke- Stevie Wonder.  While it may say that this is Do I Do on the play list, alas, it is not.  But I do love the song Sir Duke.  the horns, the upbeat happiness, i love.  It also reminds me of the many mix tapes i had in my shitty little car in High School.  I'd say 1/4 mixes (in those days) had this song on it.

2. Iron Lion Zion.  Today was reggae day in my office, so I decided I'd add a little Bob to my BHM dedication mix.  I really like this song-it isn't as bubble gum as say 3 little birds, or stir it up.
3. People get up....James Brown.  Who doesn't enjoy James Brown?  and isn't this photo pretty awesome?  I think he does a pretty good job getting me ready for the weekend, yourself?

4. No Scrubs-TLC.  What I really wanted was Creep or Red Light Special, but I couldn't get my hands on those songs.  You are going to have to make do with No Scrubs.  Until very recently, I did not know that a Real Housewife of Atlanta  actually wrote this one. 

5. Baby Love-The Supremes.  The ultimate ladies of Motown.  need I say more?

6. Soldier of Love-Sade.  I remember when I first heard Smooth Operator.  Sade is awesome.  Maybe she is slightly elevator-ish, but not all of her music.  This new album/single is pretty great.  according to A-it's "her jam" which is pretty great to witness her dancing and excitement over the number.

 7. Fly Away-Lenny Kravitz.  My whole life I have had a crush on Lenny.  He is beautiful.  And his music was/is pretty awesome.  I liked his 90's stuff best of all, but this particular song reminds me of the boy I dated in High School.  those were the days....
 8. Cheek to Cheek-Ella and Louis.  I heart these two.  together, separate, they are wonderful.  I think this is a great little tune as well.  When I hear this song it makes me want to be out dancin' with my girl!  I sort of wish I grew up at the time of my grandparents-only because part of growing up was learning to dance all classy like.  Kids these days learn to grind and make me vomit in my mouth a little bit. 
 9. What you Want-the Roots Featuring Jill Scott.  I'm no hip hop expert, but the root are f*ing awesome.  have you heard ?love rock the drums?  AMAZING.  there aren't a ton of hip hop bands that are bands, not just a front man.  I love how these guys play live music. And Jill Scott-what a voice, eh?

10. Hit the Road, Jack-Ray Charles. This is one of those songs that used to make me excited when I was a really little kid.  Just like Yakidy Yak always made me smile, so did this one.  Also, kids don't know what any of the songs they like mean, so I think I must have just thought the rhyming was good.  who knows.

 11.  Alright-John Legend.  Not my lady Amanda, but my bestie Amanda is a John Legend fan.  I hear his music and I think of her.  Also, my office mate is a big JL fan and I think adding this to the list of greats was a must.  he is pretty talented.

12. Wolf Like Me-TV on the Radio. Again, I was hoping for a different TV on the Radio Song, but this mix host really isn't great.  So, Wolf Like Me, which was probably their biggest success, it has to be.  I like this Brooklyn Based band.  They are hard, but not too hard, but there is definitely a lot of emotion, but not in a sissy way.  All in all, check these guys out.

13. Right Here (Human Nature Remix) SWV.  When I was about 10, I had this single....on a cassette tape.  I would listen to it by myself in my bedroom, singing along, wishing I could be in the music video.  I think it was around the same time that I wanted to be able to drive in a big old convertible with a dude name Big J and a jar of Gin and Juice (of course I didn't really know what any of that meant at the time, I just though tit would be cool.....)  About 2 months ago I heard this song for the first time in a while and it made me really happy. I hope it does it for you.

Happy Weekend, Y'all! 


cassette tape  Stevie Wonder  James Brown TLC  Sade   Lenny  Ella and Louis the roots  John Legend SWV

4 comments: