Thursday, February 3, 2011

Today in rock history

Let's learn some rock and roll history from today, shall we?
It was February 3rd, 1967 that Jimi Hendrix recorded (the amazing and classic) purple haze.   Pretty cool, huh? Not that I count Rolling Stone Magazine for much, but they ranked Purple Haze #17 in their top 500 rock songs ever written.

What this actually leads to is that my favorite drummer of all time was part of the Jimi Hendrix Experience.  That drummer is Mitch Mitchell.

In tribute to the late great Mitch Mitchell, i found some cool old photos to post.

Most of you have probably seen me play drums with either my old band The Hasbeen or my new band Southside Hustle.  While I by no means consider myself to be even close to as good as MM, i feel that a lot of what I do is influenced by his style.  Sort of a mix between rock and jazz, and especially awesome in the live context.
I love this photo of the band. 



Read up more on Mitch Mitchell here!

No comments:

Post a Comment