Thursday, February 24, 2011

have I told you about...

Hi Friends and Happy Friday Junior!  Today I'd like to spend a little time telling you about my favorite blog ever, Sweet Juniper.  Before I do that, I want to just say that all of these photos were taken from the authors blog and photography website for the soul purpose to get you to go over there and read up/view the AMAZING photography yourself.(James Griffioen photography page). 

Now, let me tell you a little story. About 2 or so years ago, someone tweeted a link to sweet juniper with some remark about feral dogs/homes and Detroit.  Being that I date a girl from The D, I clicked on the link to check it out. That day, my life was changed.


 I'm aware that that sounds very ridiculous and dramatic, but I'm not kidding, I love this blog.  And after spending many hours digging through old posts, I found his photography site, which also blew my mind. I saw a show of his in Chicago about a year an a half ago and seeing the photographs in person was kind of breath taking. Not only does he take amazing photos, his stories are pretty great (not just because he is a really good writer, but really, he is an AMAZING writer) but because he does really cool things with his kids/family.  It makes me want to be like that when I am a parent.  And then there is the Detroit aspect of it.


His blog has gotten me over the roof interested in Detroit.  Before Amanda, I didn't think much about the city.  And really, I have family in Michigan (way far away from Detroit...)  but still, Detroit didn't mean much to me.  When I found this blog and started reading about the city and looking through the photos, I became (and this may sound crazy) almost obsessed with the city-it's history, the architecture, what the hell happened to make it what it is now, and most importantly, I had to go visit the city. A and I drove to Detroit 2 years ago for Thanksgiving.  While it was pretty great to finally see the city, I'd really love to go back in the summertime, with a bike.

I could spent hours telling you about the many things I'VE spent hours reading about, but really, you should go to sweet juniper (back logs, specifically feral houses, feral dogs and the train station and the book depot. All of these places are unbelievable. I mean these photos are both very sad and very beautiful all at the same time. I don't think most people know the extent of the history of the D and how the people of the city are trying to take back the city.  The author of this blog does a great job recognizing all of the really good and unique stuff that make Detroit what it is.  Like I said, I could go on for weeks talking about this city.  And I barely know it.  I'm just so interested in it.  I did my fair share of wikipedia-ing the different abandoned skyscrapers and neighborhoods and waves of crime and discrimination and corrupt government officials and all of it.  here I am now getting all crazy into it!  anyhow, check it out.  I promise you won't be disappointed. 



Thanks Sweet Juniper.  You are pretty Rad.
best source  

No comments:

Post a Comment