Tuesday, February 1, 2011

3-2-1-POLO!

 Hi Friends.  I finally made it back out to polo on Sunday.  The crew has been playing at a *secret* indoor spot in the downtown area.  Man, it is SO nice to play in a somewhat warm/weather proof facility in the winter.  Last year we played in this bus depot/parking lot in a different part of downtown.  While it was nice to be somewhat covered up, the wind could whip through there and chill you to the bone.  If you aren't playing a game, it gets cold!




I'm not going to even pretend that these are good pictures.  What can i say, the light was low, the energy was high and I was just trying to snap some shot while actually trying to get some strategy about the 2v2 game.

 Because the space is somewhat small, and there are beams around, it is a 2v2 game setting.  Thus, instead of shooting the ball between 2 cones to score a goal, you need to shoot the ball at a single cone, hit that cone and that equals a goal.  It really pushes you to work on accuracy.

 I like this blurry photo of Kat.  You can tell it is her, and it looks cool, and she looks like she is going really fast-faster than the speed of light, even (well...not really).
 The guys even made boards to play in, so it is pretty much awesome to play there.  I look forward to going back in a couple of Sundays (after my boys play/win the Superbowl).
 There were a lot of new faces, but that was exciting.  A lot of good players, and other players who are about where I am at-that makes me push harder to play well.  I also see my errors when watching players at the same caliber as myself.  You see them do exactly what you would have done, and then you envision what they/you should have done.   It's nice.
 There is also a stage in the space, where people put all their shit.
 what is a game of bike polo w/out a black label or Pabst....


 Below is the bike that I was playing on.  My bike is a bit of a mess right now.  The cranks that were on it also doubled as my winter cranks, and low and behold, when it got cold, I switched them over.  Kat gave me an old set she had, but of course I forgot a part and had to use a loaner bike.  Thank goodness there were options in terms of sizes.  Anyhow, this is ebbin's spare bike.  It has disc brakes, which i had never ridden before.  took a minute to get used to stopping instantly. Also, the saddle is certainly for a dude.  I am still sore (specifically my sit bones!) 
All in all, I had a great time.  I hope to make it back soon.  What I really want to shoot for is traveling to Austin Texas for the Ladies Army III.  I have to get good, first.  But a girl can dream, right?!

No comments:

Post a Comment