Thursday, January 13, 2011

something cool for a cold day

What the hell is with all the snow?  I am usually pro (as pro as you can be) winter.  But this is starting to get ridiculous, and it is only mid January.  When I watched Patrick Hammer this morning, he told me we were going to get "some flurries."  these flurries were not supposed to continue all morning and leave the roads all sloppy again.  But alas, the snow has not even pretended to let up.

let's talk about the slop.  To be honest, slop is not the worst of it.  yes, it makes things wet, but that isn't so hard to cut through.  In fact, I feel pretty in control when it is wet. I may get a little splash here and there, but that is what my leg warmers are for.  That wetness has never even reached my second layer of socks, so it isn't too bad. the part about all of this that I really don't care for, is the fact that it covers up all the hard packed (as I call it Molten....but it is ice) chunks of ice.

Let's talk more about the moonstone/molten ice I'm referring to.  This stuff is usually on the edge of the road, right near where I and most cyclists ride the road.  I think it is a result of snow being plowed to the side, and then it gets driven on so much that it gets crazy packed down, and then turned into ice, but it is like 4 inches thick, and comes out of nowhere.  When I see this stuff, I try more than anything to avoid it.  But sometimes, you just can't and then you need to ride it like it is a wave.  what I mean is, if you don't stay on the crest, the ice (or wave...) will swallow you whole/make you fall.  So far, I have survived the moments of ice/wave riding.  But on days like today, the fresh powder covers up the ice chunks and makes it hard to see them.  On days like this I'm glad I have my route home (the road itself) memorized.  I know where the big ice chunks are, and where they break.  hopefully I will make it home safely today....

But really, I wasn't planning on talking about that today.  I was planning on giving you something nice to look at, other than the falling snow.



I think A and I need one of these.  She can just sit pretty like a lady :)



ENJOY!

3 comments: