Tuesday, January 11, 2011

Back in the Game! (for now)

Can it be true?  After MONTHS of no mixes, I'm back in the game!  Now this is just a little something to tide you over while I figure out the new mix program I'm trying to use.  So there is no real theme here, just some music to get down to.  Enjoy!
NEW MIX! 1.11.11
 1. Rhinestone Eyes-Gorillaz.  This is one of the singles off of their new album plastic beach.  I think it is pretty catchy and pretty classic Gorillaz sound. 
 2. This is Radio Clash-the Clash.  Growing up with a big brother that was/is way into punk music, I heard my fair share of The Clash growing up.  The clash are pretty rad in that they took advantage of the backlash against punk and used it to their benefit, because they are a pretty radio friendly band, and people loved the shit out of them.  I like this song a lot.
 3. Tightrope-Janelle Monae.  again, off of her new *amazing* album The ArchAndroid. it is super catchy, and easy to tap a toe to.  Plus, it features Big Boi, and that is a good thing.  also, don't you love those saddle shoes seen above, because I do!
 4. Chain of Fools- Aretha Franklin.  Everyone needs a little soul sister in their life.  period.
 5. We could be Friends-Freelance Whales.  I've heard some good, but mainly negative comments about this band.  But however emo/hipster/unoriginal they are, I think they are rad.  And I think this song is rad.
 6.No Hope Kids-the Wavves.  I'm still trying to come up with an opinion about this band.  So, listen to some of their music with me and tell me what you think. 
 7. Crazy for You-Best Coast.  Over the summer I was listening to Best Coast off and on.  And then we got tickets to see them....and we didn't go to the show because it was on a school night.  I'm still kicking myself in the ass for that.  It is pretty simplistic, however pretty awesome.
 8. Chan Chan- Buena Vista Social Club.  Listening to their music really takes me away from the snow and cold of MN and makes me, for a few simple minutes, feel like I'm somewhere in South America, using my broken Spanish to figure out where to go dancing.  I love that.
 9. Love and Happiness-Al Green.  again-why wouldn't you want some Al Green in your life.  I have had this conversation more than once-Al Green or Marvin Gaye.  While this is hard, and I think I like that both exist, I'm more of an Al Green fan.  there.  I said it.
 10. Ragged Wood-Fleet Foxes.  Having this album on Vinyl really makes it feel like it was produced back in the early 70's.  All of the vocal harmonies, well they just do it for me. 
 11.  Head Over Heels-Tears for Fears.  Since I was a kid, I have loved this band.  I only know about 8 of their songs, but that's 5 more than most people.  They are what makes the 80's a great time to remember.  just like you, I think of Donny Darko, but that wasn't always the case. 
 12. Irene-Caribou.  Another band that I'd like to listen to more, just so I have a better personal opinion of them.
 13. Basic Space-the XX.  They were HUGE last year.  And I bet their sophomore album is a success too (when it comes out.)  This is my favorite track by them.  Plus, I have some personal memories of this coming into my life last fall (of 2009, that is).
 14. Sunrise-Yeasayer.  Have I told you how much I love Yeasayer lately?  seeing them blow the roof off of 7th street entry is still one of my favorite shows ever.  and again, I'm brought back to when A and I first met, which always makes me feel all warm and fuzzy.
15.  All the Young Dudes-Mott the Hoople.  I remember hearing this in my Dad's old blue boat of a car when I was no more than 4 or 5.  We were on our way to KFC (back when it was Kentucky Friend Chicken) to purchase some chicken Little's-which were mini chicken sammies that were (in the mind of 5 year old Cayla) the best thing ever made for kids.  I mean, they were kid size!  and I can't complain with that. and why do I remember this so well? Anyhow, the use of this song in Juno made me start to love it all over again.

So that is that, friends.  A new mix.  I hope you enjoy it!  hopefully there will be more to come.

No comments:

Post a Comment