Monday, January 24, 2011

the pack is back!/good recipe below!

 THE PACKERS ARE GOING TO THE SUPER BOWL!!!!! I know I know.  most of you don't care about football.  That is just fine with me.  I myself like football, especially the Green Bay Packers.  I have a lot of pride when it comes to my boys, and I'm SO THRILLED that I get to see them hit the road for the Superbowl.  let's blow those Steelers away!
But enough about the pack.  Well, sort of.  For the last 3 weeks, we have been gathering at my buddy Alex's place (a fellow packer lover) for the game and beer and of course, a feast.  Week one of the playoffs we grilled brats and dogs and steak and such.  Last week we had a taco fest.  Last night was a chili feed.  2 kinds of chili, cornbread, chips, onions, cheese, sour cream, cilantro, the works.  We had a batch of the more traditional red chili (thanks Rachel) and then I made a white bean chicken chili.  It turned out to be AWESOME, so I'm going to share the recipe I used.

Ingredients:
Olive Oil
2 small onions(i used yellow)
4 cloves of garlic
1 can (or equivalent) of chicken broth
1 can cannellini beans
1 can great northern beans
1 can whole green chili's
1 can of corn
1/4-1/2 tsp of cumin
1/2 tsp of oregano
3 chicken breast (cooked/cubed)
salt/pepper to taste
dash of red pepper flakes
dash of coriander

Then you do what you usually do with chili:
cook the onions in the oil until they are just about done.  Then throw in your diced/pressed garlic (i used a garlic press....so much easier) as the garlic is starting to cook, chop up the green chili's, but add the juice from the can into the pot.  then add the chili's. from there, it is basically add what you want when you want-beans, corn, chicken, broth and herbs and such.  mix 'er all up, and let it simmer for as long as you want (I made it Saturday afternoon, let it cook for a few hours, and then reheated when I got over to Al's place)
add a little cilantro and sour cream and cheese (and if your me, raw onions) on top and there you have it.

I know some people add more heat, but I'm a wuss.  Also, people like to add tomatoes, but then it isn't white/greenish.  all up to you.
I think it is a pretty good recipe, especially for the weather.
oh yeah... GOPACKGO!

No comments:

Post a Comment