Friday, January 28, 2011

80's fun on Friday


Good Afternoon All.  Here is a bit of the 80's/early 90's.  Let me just add, I really need a new system here.  Mixtapeme (what I used today) has a terrible selection that is mostly shit.  The one I used for the throw back mix starts every time you open this blog, and I don't like that so much either.  I'm going to give groove shark a try, see if I can get something else lined up for next Friday.  Until then, enjoy this mix.
Friday 80's mix!


1. Valarie-Steve Winwood.  I love Steve Winwood.  I love traffic, but his later 80's solo career really brings me back to being a kid, growing up in MKE with 96.5 classic rock station....because this is what they consider classic rock.

2. Smooth Criminal- Michael Jackson.  When I was a freshman in college, this real dumb band (alien ant farm) did a cover of this song. While that cover was sort of ridiculous, it pushed me to start listening to old MJ.  and I've been loving it ever since.  I hear this song and I'm brought back to a rainy fall day when I was young and skipping class because of the rain.  I used to just jam out to music in my dorm room, hoping that the snotty girls down my hall wouldn't tell me to shut my music down...memories

3. Brass in Pocket-Pretenders.  Bands like the pretenders are why I think music from the 80's isn't so bad.  Some of the "new wave" stuff that was coming out at that time is pretty rad.  Bands like the pretenders, talking heads, Blondie and more were really doing cooler shit that most people give them credit for.
 4. Power of Love-Huey Lewis and the News. Between back to the future and American psycho (and a childhood crush...i think) I dig me some Huey Lewis. cheesetastic, but awesome.

 5 Freedom-George Michael. I really really love this song. I can remember seeing the video as a young kid and thinking it was really making a statement....what that statement was, I had no idea.  I dunno what it is, but this song stands out as a real gem of the 80's.


6. me myself and I- De La Soul. I actually got into this song in high school, thanks to one of my friends that used to make me mixed tapes all the time.  She introduced me to a lot of good tunes, and I'd like to think within the many mixes I made for her,


7. Love is a Battlefield-Pat Benatar.  What's an 80's mix with out Pat Benatar?  need I say more?

8. Who's That Girl-Madonna.  One of my favorite things in life is listening to A sing old school Madonna.  I know that sounds ridiculous, but it sort of warms my heart.  Not that A sings all the time or anything, but when Madonna comes on, she always sings and it is so cute-that high raspy voice that hooked me after one conversation....love it.  (thanks why I put Madonna on this mix...also, because she was an 80's (and beyond)god.)  I hope that's fine with everyone.
9. Just Like Heaven-The Cure.  I've always appreciate the cure.  I think most of their music hits you in a certain soft spot.  And while Ive heard this song a million times, for whatever reason it doesn't get old to me. 

10. Time after Time-Cyndi Lauper.  When I was a kid, and because kids have weird ideas/ make shit up, I thought Cyndi Lauper was our neighbor.  I remember thinking this and wondering when we were going to be able to meet Cyndi Lauper.  The main reason why I think I got this idea was because my mom's name is also Cyndi, spelled Cyndi.  Kids think the weirdest stuff.  We make stuff up to entertain ourselves.
11. Kiss-Prince.  It wasn't until I moved to Minnesota that i discovered the art of prince.  sure, I'd heard his stuff before, but when you live here (here comes the purple Yoda, from the heart of Minnesota...") Prince means a little more to you.  You actually understand what he is talking about in Purple Rain when he references Lake Minnetonka. I personally have other prince songs that I like better than Kiss, but like I said earlier, this music source is beyond sketchy.
12. Paul Revere-the Beastie Boys.  My brother was into the beastie boys when we were kids (and still now.)  He was the first person I knew who liked these guys, and would listen to them in his bedroom a lot (sometimes I was hiding in his closet, because I wanted to hang out with him, but I was his kid sister, and he didn't always want me lurking around....not sure if he ever knew that I used to sit in there and listen to him and his friends....)

Alright guys, that's that.  I hope you enjoy the some what shotty mix and I truly hope I have something else figured out before next week.  Cheers, and Happy Weekend!

source source more more another yes lastly

No comments:

Post a Comment