Friday, May 20, 2011

The list #6

Hey all.  Sorry for the long delay.  Not only was the weekend CRAZY with It's a Date, My Band (southside Hustle) also had a show.  Sunday I decided to ride out to Hopkins with Al and watch his little bro play some little league.  This was super fun until the ride home when the wind really picked up and so did my cold.  By the time I got home, my throat hurt so much and I had a pretty good fever, so I pretty much went straight to bed. But I couldn't stay home from work on Monday, so I had to go in for part of the day.  Tuesday was my grad school orientation, which was exciting and awesome and I can't wait to get back to school!  Then on Wednesday I had tons of catch up to do, and of course (with my luck) my work computer crashed yesterday.  So it has been a crazy week, but I'm here to talk about #6 on the music list....

#6: Song that reminds you of a place.  I think part of my answer for this comes with the season.
 Around this time of year is when life gets exciting for a high school student, or it was for me when I was in high school.  It was almost summer, and cruising around in friends cars on sunny afternoons was the fun thing to do (for my pretty straight-edged group of friends....the worst we did was smoke cigs and think we were badass).  There was one mix tape that my friend Megan made that was amazing.  It had all kinds of good cuts-from local radness (willy porter) to classic ROCK (zeppelin) and of course, a little hip hop.  The track that stands out is "notorius Thugs" by bone thugs and biggie.  I would play this song 2-3 times in a row, (remember, this was back in the day of rewinding, not just pushing the back button.)  And still when I hear it, I am thrown back to the streets of Wauwatosa in either the pumpkin, swordfish, jeepie or my sundance.

Just last night, while taking the doggies on a longer walk, I brought up to A that I miss being a kid.  Don't get me wrong, I love where I am at in life-about to start school, leave the job I've had for 6 years, move to a different neighborhood, and in general, mix it up A LOT.  But sometimes I miss the easy days of being young.  whether it was being 7 and playing in my clubhouse, or being 16 and hitting the round-about, mump-alump jump, or gilles, I miss those innocent days.  Back when my biggest concern was whose house we wanted to hang out at that night, things felt so serious.  Of course they did...I was 16, but looking back makes me smile and a little sad all at the same time. 

Ok, enough childhood happiness, on to some Bone Thug's n harmony

3 comments:

  1. i love these posts...they make me think and i can either think of too many answers, or none at all!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I'm so glad you enjoy them. I too like to think about all the songs that could be picked for each category. Music is my love!

    ReplyDelete
  3. oh boyee, bringing back the memories. we had some crazy happy times and kept it simple didn't we. :) i was just telling somebody the other day about our fake cruising adventures in Stallis. when i think about high school, i just think about how much we laughed. we were constantly amusing ourselves weren't we. :)

    ReplyDelete