Friday, March 25, 2011

Today in Rock History

 Happy Friday! I'm so happy it is sunny out.  However this cold and snow at the end of March stuff has GOT to go.  I, for one, am SICK OF IT!!!

Anyhow, let's work past it and look at some music history.

Anyone a fan of Elvis Costello?  Because I am.  Not like a GIANT fan, but enough of a fan that I have a handful of albums.  Why am I asking you this?  Well, because it was on this day (3.25) 1977 that Elvis Costello released his first single, Less Than Zero.  Many people know this song because it was later used for the film Less than Zero starring Robert Downey Jr. (among others). 

The song Less Than Zero is the 8th track off of Elvis Costello's first Album, My Aim is True (other single off this album was Allison).  While LTZ didn't make it to any billboard top-50 charts or anything (well, not here in the US anyhow) it has become a classic.  While the song was *actually* written about some British fascist leader(named Oswald), many Americans thought that Costello wrote it about a different Oswald (Lee Harvey).  This lead to Costello singing an alternate version, more closely connected to LH Oswald.  That can be found on the Live at the El Mocambo album. That's about all I really know about this song.  But I love the song and wanted to share (check out the video, too).

You know what's funny?  Bob Seger also released an album that year, and the single "Night Moves" top the charts.  That also happened on this day in 1977.  But really, I dig Bob Seger, too. 




There you have it, folks.  A piece of Rock History that you may not have known.  Enjoy!

my aim is true   Night Moves    LTZ vinyl

4 comments: