Tuesday, March 22, 2011

Rainy Day Albums




Good afternoon, friends.  Last night I woke up around 330am to the beautiful sound of rain falling outside my bedroom window.  I love that sound. 

I fell back asleep, still listening to the rain, and the soft snore of my pugs.  As I was falling asleep, the thought of good albums for rainy days came to my head and i said it over and over so I wouldn't forget. I knew I would be asleep again in no time and that usually means forgetting anything that I was thinking about.


Here is a list of 10 albums that I think are great for a rainy day.  No particular order, just some great tunes.

Buena Vista Social Club. This self titled album is amazing.  It instantly takes you to a different place.  suddenly the cool Minnesota rain outside is actually a tropical rain, and your in an outdoor tiki bar on some island with an amazing house band playing to a full dance floor.
Iron & Wine-Our Endless Numbered Days.  This was the first iron & wine album I heard. And it was rainy outside.  Maybe that is where the connection comes from.  But his voice just seems to take over and make the weather somehow soothing.
Counting Crows.-August and Everything After. This album has been a part of my life since I was 11 years old.  It is still among my favorites, no matter how lame adam duritz is.  It is heart breaking in the most beautiful way.  more than three of the songs bring me to tears more often than not.  It just brings me back to so many different times in my life.  And the emotions that it will bring out of you are best with a side of rain.

Modest Mouse-the lonesome crowded west. This album is amazing.  i spent many a rainy days listening to this album, especially while driving in my car.  Go give it a listen.

Nightmares on Wax-Smokers Delight. This was a big album for me when i was in college.  At one point I was living in a 3rd floor one bedroom apartment with my partner in crime, Kelly.  One side of our little shitty apartment was sliding windows.  We also had a light switch which just about turned on an acid trip-lava lamp, christmas lights, black lights (which shown on my grateful dead posters...) But I recall listening to this album, staring out the huge windows watching the clouds swirl by while it rained outside.

Otis Redding-The Dock of the Bay.  I suggest giving this a listen on vinyl, if possible.  You will know in a mater of minutes why I put this on my list.
Sigur Ros- ( ).  I struggled to decide which of their albums to put on this list.  They all do a different thing with the rain.  This album is sort of split in 2. And each part has a definite different feel to it. It makes for a great rainy day album. 
The Sundays-Static and Silence.  I got this album way back in high school.  While the first song doubles for an amazing summer jam, it is a nice start to the album.  The rest of the album comes down a bit.  Her vocals are pretty great, and just float you through the album.
Thelonious Monk-Thelonious Alone in San Francisco. Jazz on a rainy day album.  what can I say.  I love Monk.  and this solo album is rad.  He really knows how to make you feel the music/weather.

(note: the 10th album is Wilco's A ghost is born.  I accidentally deleted the image, but that album is great for a rainy day.  It has some louder edgy stuff, but also some mellow, more melodic tunes.  It also happens to be my favorite wilco album.)


There you have it.  Now go ENJOY the weather, instead of feel sad that Spring just won't come.

(honrable mentions: anything Nick Drake, Bon Iver, more jazz-like miles davis, Eva Cassidy, Aretha Franklin, Decemberists (older stuff)

image source  (all other images taken from wikipedia)

3 comments:

  1. i used to listen to that counting crows album over and over. my roommates got so sick of me. i love how you put it...It is still among my favorites, no matter how lame adam duritz is.

    ReplyDelete
  2. it *was* nice falling asleep to the rain last night. I think I read a paragraph of my book before the pitter-pats lulled me to sleep...xo

    ReplyDelete
  3. blur's 1997 self titled album

    ReplyDelete