Wednesday, March 2, 2011

Today in Rock History

Hello Friends.  It's time for another piece of Rock History.  Back in 1986 the Paul Simon album GRACELAND won a Grammy for album of the year.  And it was this day in 1987 when the title track was recognized as song of the year.  Good work Paul Simon.  I believe Graceland was his 7th studio album. 

What makes this album so awesome is the use of many different talented musicians, and singers.  This album has such a unique feel to it, I love it! Not only does it have a serious South African feel to it (thank you Ladysmith Black Mambazo), it has zydeco, too. And Linda Ronstadt sings on it.  amazing.




When I was a kid I *loved* this album.  I can remember Saturday mornings after sleepovers.  My dad would make his world famous (or famous to my friends and I, anyway) doughnuts and we would watch early saved by the bell and listen to this album on cassette.  Those were the days.

I got older and I continued to love this album, probably on a much deeper level. I think this is on my top 10 of all time. For Real.  It is especially good in the early spring time.  It makes 55 degrees feel like paradise.  and in the hot mess of July nights it can turn you upside down with delight.  If you haven't listened to this album in its entirety, you should.  And if it has been a while, go take a listen.  You won't regret it.
Several years ago I had the pleasant experience of seeing this Ladysmith Black Mambazo live.  It was amazing. They have such beautiful voices, I can't even explain it. 






pics via here here here

1 comment:

  1. love love love linda rondstadt! anything with her is amazing...even that mouse movie song! and this album is amazing! love me some paul simon!

    ReplyDelete