Thursday, April 29, 2010

Top 125 Albums in the last 25 years...according to SPIN

Good Day, All! Happy that it is almost the weekend? Me too. I have rock shows and humane society walks, and craftstravaganzas and polo matches and just so much more to do. But you know me, I love being busy.

This morning while i was perusing my usual blogs, I spotted a top 125 albums of the last 25 years list. Now, I'm not big on Spin magazine, so I went in skeptical. But, being a music lover, I really enjoy lists like this. I think I've read through Rolling Stones best of '09 magazine 10 times since I got it back in January. And, I don't always agree with Rolling Stone either, although I really enjoy hearing other opinions about top 10, or new stuff to look out for or whatever.

Anyhow, I read through the list-albums that have been made since 1985. I learned a handful of things during this reading. A. There is a lot of music I still haven't heard. B. Spin really likes old skool rap. C. There is a lot that goes into a top anything list. Let me just give you the top 10, and a link to the rest of Spin's list.
http://www.spin.com/spin25/125-best-albums-past-25-years#page=1


10. Nine Inch Nails-Downward Spiral (1994)
9. Pavement-Slanted and Unchanted (1992)
8. PJ Harvey-Rid of Me (1993)
7. Guns n' Roses-Appetite for Destruction (1987)
6. Public Enemy-It takes a Nation of Millions to Hold Us Back (1988)
5. Radiohead-OK Computer (1997)
4. Nirvana-Nevermind (1991)
3. The Smiths-The Queen is Dead (1986)
2. Prince-Sign O' the Times (1987)
1. U2-Achtung Baby (1991)


A few things to note. NONE of the top 10 are from later than 1997. So, has there been no timeless/classic/worthy of top 10 ever albums made in the last 13 years? I personally disagree, but that's just me. And really, U2 at #1. REALLY?!? I don't get it. IMHO, Joshua Tree is better than that album, and still no number 1

I, myself know that a lot of people would disagree with my top 10, or top 25 albums. That is fine with me. I like that music can take a hold of everyone of it's listeners differently. That is what makes the experience so personal and meaningful. It is why music lovers feel so passionate about their tunes and albums.

Let's break it down. I think there are 2 ways of making a list like this. You can either make it about albums that YOU, yourself love and have listened to a million times (even guilty pleasures) or it can me more of a statistical thing-looking at how many records were sold, singles released, and all that jazz. I think there are certain albums that will always get thrown into lists.
For example, no matter who you are, you should recognize that The Miseducation of Lauryn Hill is one of the best albums ever. Or that Funeral by Arcade Fire should be put on any "top 25 of the decade" list. But there are so many albums that were ground breaking that I just don't care for. Like Rage Against the Machine. I have never cared for them. I respect what they do and how much people LOVE them, but they just aren't for me. So they would NOT make my list. Same goes for bands like The Smiths. Just not me. I have some of their albums, and Ive given them a listen, but I still don't get it. Just "feel bad for me" music, as I like to call it. Maybe it is serious, or maybe it is a play on sad people, or maybe Morissey is a prophet....I dunno. I don't care for it. I have enough real shit in my life that gets me emotional. I don't need Morissey to put me there too. And I have plenty of friends who disagree with my feelings. That is fine. We can have separate ideas.
My top 30 list is as follows:
TOP 30 Albums of the 2000's that have influenced my musical taste and life.(not really in any particular order. too hard for me to do that right now) I can still remember the first time i heard ALL of these albums.

30.Battles-Mirrored

29.Postal Service-Give Up

28.Outkast-Speakerboxxx/the Love Below

27.Wilco-A Ghost is Born

26. Sufjan Stevens-come on hear the ILLINOISE

25. Wolf Parade-Apologies to the Queen Mary

24. Sigur Ros-( )

23.Electrelane-The Powerout

22. Spoon-Gimme Fiction

21. Bruce Springsteen-We Shall Overcome-the Seeger Sessions

20. Justin Timberlake-Future Sex/Love Sounds

19. Clap Your Hands Say Yeah-Clap Your Hands Say Yeah

18.The Decemberists-The Crane Wife

17.Fleet Foxes-Fleet Foxes

16. Iron & Wine-Our Endless Numbered Days

15. Daft Punk-Discovery

14.The Strokes-Is This It?

13. Yeasayer-All Hour Cymbals

12. Ryan Adams-Gold

11. Phoenix-Wolfgang Amadeus Phoenix

10. Brazilian Girls-Brazilian Girls/Talk to La Bomb

9. Girl Talk-Night Ripper

8. Kings of Leon-Aha Shake Heartbreak

7.Belle & Sebastian- The Life Pursuit

6.LCD Soundsystem- Sound of Silver

5. Arcade Fire-Funeral

4. Hot Chip-The Warning

3. Radiohead-Kid A

2. Beach House-Teen Dream

1. Modest Mouse-The Moon and Antarctica.

Yes, I am aware that their is no coldplay, brighteyes, cat power, bob dylan, bon iver, and probably a handful of other artists you may know and love. There are many reason behind that: sometimes I don't like bands that others like. Sometimes I am moved by other things. Sometimes lists that go to 30 don't have enough room. And sometimes bands (while amazing) make me feel things that I can't always handle (yes, I'm talking about bon iver....) So, that is my list. hope you enjoy. Feel free to shoot me your comments, because I know y'all have different opinions than I do.

No comments:

Post a Comment