Friday, April 9, 2010

Friday Mix Tape!



Hey all. It's friday and you know what that means....A NEW MIX! Inspired by the Julian Casablancas show that I attended (and danced my ass off during) last night, today's mix is all about upbeat, danceable(fun even?) rock and roll. So let's get the ball rolling here. Also, I am attenting to put in links so you can hear these songs. I hope it works. And I also hope to find a better way of sharing the music with you, but this is where we will have to start.
1. Brown Sugar-The Rolling Stones. My Dad taught me at a young age what Rock & Roll was. His teachings came in the form of a little something called Sticky Fingers. Well, I suppose we listened to a lot of their albums, I just remember this cover the best.

http://www.last.fm/music/The+Rolling+Stones/_/Brown+Sugar?autostart

2. Barely Legal-The Strokes. I really love Julian Casablancas voice. And the Strokes are just so catchy and upbeat and danceable. Even Amanda will dance to this stuff, and she typically is self conscious about public dancing (even though we always have a great time dancing in public and don't give a shit about what the hipsters around us think!) Anyhow, This Is It has continuously found its way back to my CD player and every time I listen, I am satisfied by the entire album.
http://www.last.fm/music/The+Strokes/_/Barely+Legal?autostart

3. Whoo! Alright - Yeah...Uh Huh.-The Rapture. okay, okay...I am breaking outside of the category I set up here-these guys aren't exactly straight rock and roll. However, this song screams dance party. Need I say more?http://www.last.fm/music/The+Rapture/_/Whoo%21+Alright+-+Yeah...Uh+Huh.?autostart

4. Friends of P.-The Rentals. I don't really know much else from The Rentals. I still had dreadlocks and was dancing to the Grateful Dead and Phish in my bedroom when these guys were being played on the airwaves in Milwaukee (my hometown.) But back in the day a boyfriend of mine made me a mix with this song on it and I have liked it ever since. http://www.last.fm/music/The+Rentals/_/Friends+of+P.?autostart

5.Gold Lion-Yeah Yeah Yeahs. I know you've all heard it before, but damn, Karen O's voice is mesmerizing. I don't think this band is the best thing to have ever happened, but I do think they kick ass. This is the type of rock and roll that I love. It really gets me going. I struggled with picking just one song of their for this mix. But here it is.
http://www.last.fm/music/Yeah+Yeah+Yeahs/_/Gold+Lion?autostart

6. Tiny Cities Made of Ashes-Modest Mouse. Modest Mouse is one of my all time favorite bands. You will probably see/hear them on a handful of mixes of mine. I love their drummer, Jeremiah Green-well, he was their drummer on the older albums. Then he had a nervous breakdown-of sorts-and they had replaced him as the main drummer, but he still plays percussion on tours, which is cool. It is really cool when there are 2 drummers rocking the fuck out. It makes songs like Float On sound louder than a Nascar race. Although I've never been to Nascar so....

7. Antmusic-Adam and the Ants. Before I was born, my uncle (who, like my father, is a Dentist) was also working as a DJ at a Milwaukee radio station. He was known as "the rock dentist" and is even (to this day) the dentist of the Band The Violent Femmes. Anyhow, when I was a kid I found a tape of one of his shows when my Brother, as a 3 year old, helped him announce songs. I loved this tape. I would listen to it over and over and pretend I was making music videos for the songs on the tape. Or I would pretend it was me on the air. This Adam Ant song was on the tape. Enjoy.
http://www.last.fm/music/Adam+and+the+Ants/_/Antmusic?autostart

8. The Way We Get By-Spoon. I saw these guys a few years back at a really small club here in Mpls and it really solidified my relationship with them. I like this song because of the piano. I think it give the song a unique catchiness. And the 2/4 beats are rock solid and make my head bob every time I hear the song. Plus they have been around for a damn long time and continue to make new(great!) albums.

9. Where Have All the Rude Boys Gone-Ted Leo and the Pharmacists. THIS is solid. The harmonies, the killer guitars, plus this is one of the few bands that I really liked before my brother told me about them. See, my brother is kind of an elitist when it comes to music. There have been maybe 3-4 bands that I've told him about that he actually liked. I kind of want to just put this on repeat and get ready for my weekend now. But I will finish this mix instead....http://www.last.fm/music/Ted+Leo+and+The+Pharmacists/_/Where+Have+All+the+Rude+Boys+Gone%3F?autostart

10. Slow Hands-Interpol. Once upon a time I knew a girl who was WAY into Interpol. She had posters and tshirts and her computer backdrop was the band and so on and so forth. When she found out that I hadn't really listened to them much, she went nuts and made me an Interpol mix. This song stood out. And check this video! http://www.last.fm/music/Interpol/_/Slow+Hands

11. Too Late-Way No Way. Just heard this for the first time today, but very much enjoyed it. I can find an easier way to link you to it, so just scroll down this page a bit and you will find it-it is under April 7th. http://sideonetrackone.com/

OK. This Friday mix (like many of the songs) is rolling on the shorter side. But I think due to the theme of the music, it doesn't need to be much longer than 10-12 songs. I hope you enjoy it!HAPPY FRIDAY!

No comments:

Post a Comment