Friday, April 30, 2010

Friday Afternoon/evening Mix!

Hey All. So, this mix is coming a little late in the day, I know. I just got home from an all day Autism Conference. but enough on work, IT'S THE WEEKEND!!!!! Man, I work hard for my Fridays....

So, this week's mix is a bit of a throw bag to younger years. Music really took a hold of me when i entered middle school. 6th grade was unlike anything I had experienced before, mainly because there were more (DIFFERENT!) people. Also, I feel like i finally started to think on my own, or at least based on *my friends* not my big brother. I loved making mixed tapes back then. I recycled tapes and taped stuff off the radio-usually off of New Rock 102.1. I loved that shit. So, today I'm bring you back to young (more confused) days. I hope you enjoy!

http://mixtape.me/p/15595

1. Seether-Veruca Salt. This was a toss up between Seether and Volcano Girls. I love both songs. These guys are awesome. Music like this was pretty inviting to Ladies who wanted to rock the fuck out, and these Chicago native knew how to do just that. I didn't really pay much attention to them after i went down the ol grateful dead/phish/davematthewsband/ect route.


3. Low-Cracker. I rediscovered this song in college and it went on a lot of mixes. I remember listening to this in the summer time after 6th grade. Long, uncut grass blowing in the sweet Wauwatosa .

4. Doll Parts-Hole. Courtney Love used to be crazy and awesome. now she is just crazy and stupid. I really felt like I connected to this album. But listening now, there really wasn't anything in my life that could compare to this shit. But that's OK. I love her screaming, and suffering, and all that good stuff.

5. Closer-Nine Inch Nails. Another song/band that I got more into as i got older. I still think this song is like the best dirty sex song every written, ever. period. I hear NIN and it gets me hot. Those beats and the actual music going on. that shit is HOT! But when I was a kid, it made me feel uncomfortable when this song came on and i was driving in my mom or dads car...

6.Corduroy-Pearl Jam. Vitalogy was one of my favorite albums back in the day. I had heard ten when i was young, but it was way about me. that video for Jeremy still haunts me a bit. Anyhow, I love this song, the guitar riff is so catchy. and Eddie Veder has a great voice (to me).

7. Sunday Morning-No Doubt. You all know you liked them way back when. I sure did. This sound is my ultimate favorite. I think it is super catchy. I remember the video having something to do with Spaghetti?
8.Loser-Beck. Another video I vividly remember. You all know why this is on here. it was all over the radio when we were young, and you just couldn't get away from it. Also, who the hell was Beck? what a great entry to the world.

9.Cannonball-The Breeders. I got an acoustic guitar for Christmas when I was in 5th or 6th grade. I remember sitting around and "playing along" with this song, which basically meant nothing, but me having a real good time jumping up and down and singing and strumming to this gem.

10. Creep-Stone Temple Pilots. I put the acoustic version on here because MTV Unplugged was huge during this time period. guys like STP could clean up well. I almost think the acoustic version is more powerful than the album version. I also remember sitting on my dear friend Brittany's rough in Uptown at the tender age of 22 singing this at the top of our lungs. good times.

11.Rocket-Smashing Pumpkins. I really enjoy this song. and yet again, i vividly remember the video-group of kids (mini Smashing Pumpkins) building a rocket. good one. This band was so cool at one point in time.
12.Heart Shaped Box-Nirvana. I was a hair young for Nirvana. In fact Kurt Cobain killed himself when we were in 6th grade. I remember i had *just* started listening to them when this happened. But I like this song and this album a lot.

13. Kiss Off-Violent Femmes. So, my uncle is their dentist...I think Ive said that before :) I grew up listening, loving and sort of knowing these guys. In 6th grade, all the other kids caught up and i felt WAY cool.
14. Feed the Tree-Tayna Donelly (Belly). This may have contributed to my love for trees. maybe. But really, I think she has a very pleasant voice. and again, girls rocked pretty hard back then!

15. My Name is Jonas-Weezer. The Blue album was a must have-still is. I like the pop aspect of Weezer, even those it is loud distorted guitars. The harmonies, the 6/8 drumming, well...awesome drumming. It gets me going every time i hear it.

16. Cornflake Girl-Tori Amos. I must have listened to this song a million times in 6th grade. I had never really hear Tori Amos before, and everything about this song made me want to listen to it constantly. The piano, the vocals, the lyrics, Tori (smoking hot) Amos. it is the whole package. Man, this song moved me! I don't think music had ever made me feel the way this song made me feel. and it was just the beginning...

That is my nostalgia mix for you all. I hope you remember when you were 10-13. Middle school was tough, and I feel fortunate that I had discovered music by the time i had to deal with all those catty bitches who called me a lesbian as an insult and made coming out not that easy. I'm sure y'all have middle school stories similar to that one.
HAVE A GOOD WEEKEND!!!!

No comments:

Post a Comment