Wednesday, April 21, 2010

Horse Feathers At the Cedar


Last night I experienced some of the most beautiful music I have heard in a long time. That's right, I am talking about Caroline Smith and Horse Feathers! Amanda has been telling me about both Caroline Smith and Horse Feathers for a bit now. Ive heard a few songs off the inter-webs, and enjoyed it. However, I had no idea what was in store for us.


The night started off with local amazement, Caroline Smith. Apparently she has a band, however this simplistic set was just her and her bass/sometimes guitar player and vocalist Jesse something. Her voice is pretty unique (similar to Lucy Michelle) and her lyrics blew me away (mainly because of her age-lots of wisdom for a 21 or 22 year old.) And that guy Jesse was an amazing musician. It was very mellow, and soothing and pleasant. However, I definitely needed a coffee after her set was over (dim lights+mellow music=Cayla gets sleepy.) After her set (**and I encourage all you Minnesotans to check her out. She will also be playing through the Midwest with Horse Feathers, so Chi and Madison, look out) We tried hard to wake ourselves from the golden slumber of soulful/gentle music. And it didn't take long. Horse Feathers came out soon after and again, I was blown away by this new band in my life.
First off, the instrumentation was pretty different. One guy (my second favorite to watch) played Banjo, Violin, mini drum set, random percussion and sang. Second member (could not see him well from our seats) mainly played violin and sang a bit. He also played the saw, which always impresses me. How do you get such beautiful pitch and tone from a vintage hand saw. well, you practice, I suppose.
The next member (my new crush) played the cello. She also played a few percussion instruments and sang back up vocals (and stole my heart....just mini. don't worry, babe.) To me, having a cello in ANYTHING makes it better. I just love that deep, rich sound. It takes me to a different place, some place I wish i were more often. Maybe I shouldn't have stopped playing the viola (back in 4th grade.) Maybe if I would have continued, I'd get my cello intake on a more regular basis.



The last member of the band, the lead singer, also played the guitar. He would be the "band leader" in my opinion. His vocals very much reminded me of Iron & Wine-you know that soft, breathy stuff that is awesome. The main problem I had with him, and I guess it was more of a distraction than anything, is he made these weird faces when he sang. Like every note out of his mouth was connected to a very unattractive, strange face. Later, on our way home, Amanda told me that it was like a yucky sex face. Obviously I have little experience with men and yucky sex faces (THANK CHRIST!) so I was a little turned off. Why hadn't anyone told him sooner that he looks yucky when he sings. Like not sexy at all. In fact I'd say the OPPOSITE of sexy (YUCKY SEX FACE!!!) However, like i noted earlier, his vocals were perfect for the music and his guitar playing was also great.
Ill be completely honest, typically it takes me 4-10 listens to really hone in on the lyrics of most songs. What can I say, I'm a sucker for the MUSIC part of music. And with a band this bad ass, there were times when I absolutely heard nothing he was saying, just his melody and their harmonies over the strings. But I am sure that once I listen a bit more, I will connect with these lyrics. (Of course I will, but Ill always be more of a music than lyrics girl. Yes, I appreciate lyrics. They can make or break a band/song. However, shitty music and good lyrics still means a shitty song, IMHO)
But I left the show feeling really good about these music journeys I have been experiencing. One week I'm at Japandroids-a sub punk/rock/boneshaking/loud show. The next week gorgeous/ breathtaking/rich strings. I love MPLS. I love live music. Please let me know if there are any other shows out there that you think I'd like, or you would like company to.
Also, here is some Horse Feathers AND Caroline Smith for you to listen to.
http://mixtape.me/p/15322 Enjoy.

2 comments:

  1. I really like Caroline Smith :) I've seen her with her full band, it's great.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Next time you see her playing in town, let us know. Id love to see a band behind her!

    ReplyDelete