Thursday, April 22, 2010

Enchiladas!

Hey-yo! So this is just a quick note. Last night Amanda and I went over to Ben and Lindsay's for some dinner and conversation. Ahead of time Ben mentioned something about cooking enchiladas. This excited me, because i don't tend to order them at Mexican restaurants. The reasoning is 3 fold. A. My mom makes killer enchiladas and I typically wait for hers to eat them. B. I love the shit out of Tacos and typically order a combo plate that involves tacos and C. well...i guess there is no C. oh, here is a C! We discovered while discussing these enchiladas that Amanda has never had one. (WTF?!)


ANYHOW, we got to Ben's, did some chatting, had a few beers (tried Red Hook's brown ale-seen below-SO GOOD!) and watched Ben cook. Then we had a great meal, followed by dessert (Amanda won....like it was some sort of race.lolz. ) Anyhow, here are some pics and a *rough* recipe. I didn't ask Ben for his recipe, but I got the jist of it, I think.
Basic/Simple Enchilada Recipe:
-Big tortillas (either flour or corn will do)
-salsa (mild-hot...you choose. or if you feel WAY fancy, get enchilada sauce) *EDIT-add tomato sauce and spices, like cumin and chili powder!
-ground beef (or not, if you're a veggie. you can sub fake meat, or extra veggies and beans)
-Can of black beans
-CHEESE!(pre-shredded, or a block you can shred.)
-small-medium onion
-bell peppers (any color/s work)

****Pre-heat the oven to 375 degrees. Cut up your veggies to the size you like. Meanwhile, layer tortillas in bowl/plate of salsa and let that sit for a while (the tortilla will absorb some of the juices, making it awesome.) Then it is meat time. Ben's just cooked up the meat, added some spices (i think) and when it was getting more towards the gray/brown side, added the veggies and black beans to the meat. Mix well together and continue browning. When the meat is done, get out your baking tray (something roughly the size of a cake/brownie pan works well.) Take a tortilla, fill it with the meat/bean/veggie mix. Add some shredded cheese on top of the meat mix and then roll that baby up! Continue doing this with however many tortillas you have and put them side by side in the baking tray. Cover with remaining salsa and cheese. BAKE! roughly 15 minutes or so. just check to make sure the cheese is all melted and bubbly goodness.
and BAM! you have some delicious Enchiladas!

(this is a silly cell phone pic, but this is the COOKED enchiladas)
We also had some strawberry shortcake(EASY) for dessert. easy-cut up strawberries, get some angel food cake, put strawberries on angel food cake and top with whipped cream. cheers. dessert. (THANKS AGAIN BEN AND LINDSAY! SO GOOD!)

Enjoy. I like the idea of different recipes on here, so if you have any that you think I'd like, send them my way, Ill test it out and then share. bon appetit...

2 comments:

  1. I'm glad you gals liked it! Yeah, thats pretty much the recipe, except I mixed the salsa with tomato sauce and some spices (mainly cumin and chili powder) to make an enchilada sauce. It made me really happy to have you over, I love cooking for people, and we don't see each other nearly enough. Lets do it again!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I agree! Ben is a fantastic cook and everything was delicious. What I enjoyed most by far, though, was the company!

    ReplyDelete