Tuesday, April 20, 2010

I HEART TREES and BIKES!

Good afternoon, and happy Tree Day (I made this up....I'm just feeling love for the Trees today.) Anyhow, I was feeling inspired on my ride to work this morning. All of the trees are finally budding, and Spring is busting out all over. This very much excites me!

I've been out and about on my bike a lot lately, trying to get in more miles/trying to experience Spring to the fullest. Last summer and especially the summer before Amanda and I had a tough time going on rides together. Of course I try to ride all year, but it is a lot of fun to ride around with someone you love. Well I know why getting her on a bike can be tricky, but do you...?

Well, here is a nice story about getting over your fears and bike crashes and fun at Mpls pride....
(that is my friend/old roommate and writer of effingdykes(funniest blog ever) in the light blue)

Amanda and I were out on our bikes, enjoying PRIDE! weekend, to be exact. We had a blast at En Vogue, saw a fun parade, and decided to hit up MPLS oldest Gay bar, the 19 Bar. We got a seat on the back patio, with some friends and enjoyed a nice (COLD) pitcher of premium. Well, that one pitcher led to a few more, and by the time it was time to ride home, A and I were feeling pretty jolly. As I unlocked our bikes, Amanda (wearing a giant smile) grabbed my bike and rode off. She was aware that my bike was different than hers-a fixed gear (this means that if the wheels are moving, so are the pedals. if you need to stop, you USE A BRAKE, or slow down your pedalling.) Well A had never tried my bike, but again, was aware that it was a little different that what she was used to.
Our trip started out just fine. We had about a mile to ride, part of that was through a big park. We went up and over the bridge to the park and I was in front of A, on her bike. As we started going down the hill, I could hear her behind me, laughing, kind of screaming, but seemingly enjoying herself. All of a sudden, I hear her Shout "I CANT STOP." I yell back "use the brake, slow down, USE THE BRAKE!" and out of nowhere, she flies by me, feet sticking out in the air, not controlling anything and going MUCH faster than she could handle. I started to follow her, but I can tell we are heading for a bad situation. She rounded a turn, screamed louder and veered off the path and towards a GIANT tree. And then it happens. I don't even know how to describe it. She hit a branch on the ground, that pushed her into the air (kind of like a janky ramp) and the bike sort of flips (with her sort of on it) and a wheel goes flying. I threw her bike down and ran over to her "Don't move, are you okay, where does it hurt, are you okay..." I shout as I'm running to the pile that is my bike and my girlfriend.

She didn't move, or say much at first, just looked up at me. And then the water works started "I ruined your bike!" Of course I am not worried about my bike (which completely survived the crash.) She sits up, crying all over the place. The sun was starting to set, so it was hard to access the damages. I threw my bike over my shoulder, grab her bike with one hand, and scoop Amanda up with my other hand, using my body to sort of carry her, along with 2 bikes, back to our house. By the time we get there, the crying has stopped a bit, but I can tell she is really hurt. We get inside, see that there is already a lot of bruising going on-black, purple, blue, you name it. There was also a chain ring bite, including broken skin and small amounts of blood. But she was a trooper. I grabbed all the frozen meat and peas I could from the freezer and covered her body. I just kept thinking this could have been much worse!Almost a year and a half later she got back on a bicycle. Her new bike, a *pink* 3-speed Schwinn, is way more her style. She feels more comfortable and it looks right. Certainly better than the Fuji single speed I built for her. We have already gone on a few rides this Spring, and will be cruising up the LRT to the West Bank to enjoy a little Horse Feathers this evening. This story is to inspire all of you to go out and ride a bike or enjoy the freshly budding leaves on our trees. Or you can do both and call me up and invite me to come.
Happy Tuesday.

No comments:

Post a Comment