Wednesday, April 7, 2010

MPLS RANKED #1

It has finally come! The day that Minneapolis beat out Portland as number one bicycling city, or at least according to Bicycling Magazine. THIS IS GREAT NEWS! Portland has held the title for years, so most of Minneapolis is stoked about this news.


If you are a biker, Minneapolis is the best place to live according to Bicycling Magazine (says WCCO)



The May issue of the magazine just came out and named Minneapolis the most bike-friendly city in America.The city moved into the number one spot after being named runner-up last year.Portland, Ore., Boulder, Colo., Seattle, Wash., and Eugene, Ore. are the cites that round out the top five.The cities are ranked based on the number of bike lanes and routes, bike commuters, cycling events and renowned bike shops.Minneapolis has 127 miles of bikeways, with 83 of those being off-street trails. There is more bike parking per capita in Minneapolis than any other city in the country. The city also has many bike amenities and big bicycling community. In June, Minneapolis will start the largest bike-share program in the country. The worst cycling cities are Birmingham, Ala., Jacksonville, Fla., and Memphis, Tenn.

As you may know already, I love my bicycle. And I love this city. So I was really excited when i read this article.

Mpls is a small-big city, and I think that is what makes it so romantic. You really can get from one side of town to the other fairly quickly on a bicycle, because of all the great trails and bike lanes. I have certain routes that I take for speed (these come in really handy, as I am ALWAYS late for everything. I picked up this bad habit from an ex of mine and have yet to shake it.) Anyhow, there are certainly routes I take because of the great views as well. Buildings with unique architecture, certain murals that have a particular color scheme I find beautiful, paths that dance across the Mississippi (especially awesome in the moonlight). See, all of these things make Mpls amazing, and even better on a bicycle.


The guy who wrote the article came here during the *balmy* month of January and spent a few days in Mpls with bike shop owners, frame builders and local bike enthusiasts. They helped him explore the city, check out what we have to offer, and really understand what biking in Minneapolis (WINTER!) is like.

No, this is not me. However, I do ride in the winter. The coldest day I think I have ridden in was about -11 degrees with a -32 windchill. And you know what, with the proper gear, it isn't too bad. Of course I would rather ride when it is warmer out. But there really is something pretty great about beating winter.

I typically don't ride everyday in the winter, but a few days a week. I do, however, have friends who ride every day. no. matter.what. I think that is pretty amazing. Every year I tell myself I will ride more. But let's be honest, when you wake up and it's freezing out, it can be difficult to throw on 5 layers and get on a bike. I still think riding a few days a week in winter is pretty good. I still impress myself sometimes.

I really don't want to think about winter biking anymore.....Happy Wednesday.

For more :http://blogs.citypages.com/blotter/2010/04/minneapolis_nam.php

No comments:

Post a Comment