Friday, April 16, 2010

FRIDAY mix time!

Happy Friday, Friends! This week marks my third mix and I am thrilled to be doing this. I find that i spend my weeks thinking of what would work well on whatever theme I am thinking about. Today's mix was inspired by Amanda's recent purchase of tickets to see the band Horse Feathers. I do not know this band too well, but i enjoy what they are doing. So this week, we have a Altie-bluegrass-folk-passion mix. Enjoy.

Oh yeah, I am trying out this different player. I don't like that it redirects you to their page, but what can you do.....

1. Jolene-Dolly Parton. This song is classic. Dolly Parton is classic. Dolly's giant tits and crazy make up, IS CLASSIC! I feel that it is of the best interest of the listener to start out a mix with something SOLID. I think this will do the trick.
2. Woman King-Iron and Wine. This was the first song I ever heard from this band. While they aren't my favorites, I find them to be pretty amazing. The lyrics paint quit the picture, his vocals are often soft, sometimes eerie, sometimes heartbreaking, but always beautiful. And their guitar work is like endless tall grass in huge fields in the summer time. whatever that means.

3. Special Party Time for Everybody-Lucy Michelle and the Velvet Lapel. Talk about killer vocals, this gal has got it. As you all probably know, this group is out of Mpls. I like hometown awesomeness. I think they are pretty unique, and from what I hear, GREAT in concert (feel free to punch me next time you see me, because NO....I still have not seen them live. Sad.)Also, the middle section of this song drops into a DOPE beat, and she really lays it on you.
4. Aeroplane Over the Sea-Neutral Milk Hotel. I have personal connections to this wonderful song. It really brings me back. Also, who uses a saw as an instrument these days? only cool people. You've all heard it. You all love it. need I say more?

5. Dustbowl-Horse Feathers. Until 3 weeks ago, I had never heard this band. Now I am going to see them live on Tuesday. I look forward to it. I like intimate shows, and with this acoustic instrumentation, I think I will really feel one with the band. Enjoy the banjo. I do.

6. Anonanimal-Andrew Bird. This is my favorite song off of Nobel Beast. Between the string intro, the rhythmic singing, amazing poly rhythms and beats, cymbal rolls, and other percussive aspects, this song gives me goose bumps EVERY time I hear it. And then he throws it into overdrive(INCLUDING HAND CLAPS and great drumming!) with the second half of the song. Fucking awesome.
(i know this one...i know this song....)
7. Helplessly Hoping- Crosby, Still, Nash and Young. On any folk-ish mix, you need CSNY. They helped originate alt/folk/rock/happiness. This song is gorgeous. These guys paved the way for many other artists (recent examples include but are not limited to Fleet Foxes, Grizzly Bear and so forth). Again, such good lyrics, beautiful vocals and the sweet sound of simple acoustic guitars. Makes me think of my Mom, and going to see CSNY with her, and crying through about 1/3 of their songs. (there is a reason why Teach Your Children is not on this mix....)
8. Summersong-The Decemberists. What song to pick from these guys. I had a list of about 5 I wanted to add, but I went with this one. I like Colin Meloys voice, although sometimes I feel it is important to express yourself with one sentence a day that DOES NOT have one or three 4-5 syllable words. I like the second verse. Reminds me of *my girl*. Plus, my summer (and I know this sounds weird...I'm weird) does get swallowed away, along with my happiness. Just a little bit, though. I can manage summer, I swear.

9. Blue Angel-Squirrel Nut Zippers. And you thought their only song was HELL. Not true, my friends. Not true. Listen to her voice, those horns! This was on a mix I received from a dear friend a handful of years ago. It was also on a unique alt/folk/acoustic mix, and it sounds great mixed in with all that stuff.
10. Boat Behind-Kings of Convenience. I have been searching for the name of this song for a few months now. I heard it on the radio and fell in love. It is so damn sweet, and makes me bob back in forth in my chair. I like the repeat, almost echo like of the versus. These boys know how to sing. So now that I have found the name/artist, I can't stop listening to it. It make me excited for warm weather, and sitting under a big willow tree, watching ants crawl through the grass and up my feet.
11. Jars at Home- Trampled by Turtles. Another MN band here. These guys are from Duluth. I think you can hear that in their music. I can almost picture them pulling their equipment up and down the HUGE hills of our great northern city on Lake Superior. Plus, it's good to put some straight up bluegrass on a blue grassy mix.

12. Milk-Kings of Leon. I really like the kings of Leon. Well I like their first 2 albums a WHOLE lot and after that, they get a little too arena rock for me. But AHA Shake Heartbreak is one of my top 10 albums of all time. I just think his voice is crazy sexy. I thought this song would fit nicely on this mix.13. Holiday-Denver Gentlemen. My friend just suggested this band to me. I love how SWANKY they are. Their horns scream vaudevillian hookers and whiskey and dim lights and all I want on a sweaty-summer night. I will continue listening to them (Ive only heard a few songs so far) and let you know how it goes.

14. Til the End of Time-Devotchka. A nice closer, don't you think? I like Devotchka. I think that have a real unique sound. My old roommate/band mate first introduced me to this group. While I thank him for very few things in life, this is one good thing he brought my way.
So that is that! I hope you have a wonderful weekend. Hit us up if you feel it!

No comments:

Post a Comment