Friday, May 14, 2010

SUNSHINE MIX!

What's that?! UP IN THE SKY...THAT BIG YELLOW THING!!!! OHHHHHHH, it's the SUN! So that's what the sky should look like on a Spring Friday afternoon. We have been missing that sun for the last week, and I don't know about you, but God damn, I was starting to get a little crazy. Good thing we have sunshine to look forward to throughout the weekend and into next week. YAY! That is what we were hoping for when planning the SWAP!

Onto the Friday Mix. In celebration of the SUN, i made a sunny day mix. These are all songs that I enjoy listening to when it is sunny outside. Whether it be in my car, on my ipod, or at my desk, as I gaze out the non-opening window, I love these songs and they make sunshine even sunnier.

ENJOY! http://mixtape.me/p/15976

1. I Can't Stand the Rain-Ann Peebles. Originally, I was searching for Missy Elliott, however I came across the original and was feeling it. I dig the slower groove, the horns, and the emotion in her voice. Classic.
2. Long Distance Call-Phoenix. This is some sort of different mix of this song. It isn't as good as the original, however it was all I could find. I love Phoenix and have enjoyed their music since I was in college. I do like their first 2 albums, and you know how I feel about Wolfgang Amadeus Phoenix. This one just makes me smile and think back to different days. 3. Sleepyhead-Passion Pit. Ive heard people call Passion Pit just another bunch of weak Brooklyn scensters, and I completely disagree. Of course I have opinions about music too. For example, any music I know one particular music snob from my past enjoys, I am instantly turned off by. And most times when this particular D.bag says he doesn't like something because it is "commercial" or "hipster" i first laugh and think "look in the mirror, dumb ass," and then listen and know I will most likely enjoy it. ranting here....sorry. Anyhow, I like passion pit. I think they have great music and I enjoy the singers falsetto voice.

4. Electric Feel-MGMT. A. I DO NOT like MGMT. In fact, this is the only good song they have written (IMHO.) The crazy thing about it is that it is an AMAZING song. I think it is catchy and hott and awesome. I also have a personal connection to it. This little ditty can go one the list of Top 5 A and C songs (I saw Yeasayer and MGMT the night after our first date, and this song was already etched in my head because of Amanda.) I hope you feel it too.

5. Two Weeks-Grizzly Bear. Yes, I know this song is now all over TV and Radio, but that is because it is so good. I can imagine riding my bike around in the summer time, stopping at lemonaide stands, with 5 year olds treating quarter tips like it is $1,000,000. Plus, the drumming and harmonies are pretty tight, reminiscent of the beach boys in a way.

6. Cosmic Love-Florence and the Machine. I am just getting into this band. I think her vocals are beautiful and moving. Very powerful. Think summer afternoon cruise down to Redwing or something. Ive been told to listen to this group from more than one friend that I highly regard as a music expert. And I appreciate the suggestion (Race and JK)


7. Bang a Gong (Get it On)-T.Rex. Classic. this song gets me pumped up for the weekend the same way watching dazed and confused gets me excited for summer. not much else to say.

8.Wide-eyed, Legless-Laura Veir. Again, she is on the newer side to me, however I am enjoying getting into her latest album. There is something sort of mysterious about this song, which I enjoy a lot. And I like that her lyrics narrate a story.


9. The View-Modest Mouse. These lyrics are great. While this is later Modest Mouse, I still love it. This song is on my top 3 of good News. It has a hair of old modest mouse to it, but also takes a step forward. me gusta. Issac Brock (I've said it before) has a powerful voice in a way that I'm not always good at explaining. It isn't always in key, there is some screaming, and such, but it is so raw and emotional. I first listened to this album after a week of rain back when I was in college, and I remember the first time I heard this, driving home from my janitor job at the U. Still makes me smile.

10. Around the World-Daft Punk. Daft Punk ALWAYS makes me feel good. This one pairs nicely with the happy, sunny weather. I used to put this song on mixes a lot back in college. My freshman year roommate got SO sick of hearing this song, however I can still picture her dancing to it while yelling at me to turn it off. Makes me want to dance and get the hell out of my office!

11. Bounce That-Girl Talk. Girl Talk is perfect music for me. My attention span is all over the place, the beats and song are all over the place. He gets what I like. And this song ALWAYS makes me smile. Just ask A. If I am feeling sad, I can put this on and be up and happy before we even get to the Steve Winwood part (which is my FAVORITE part) It makes me smile SO much. Plus, girl talk live is one of the best things Ive ever experienced. and he is a geeky white dude that just THROWS down.
12. SilverSoul-Beach House. I think Teen Dream maybe one of my albums of the summer, or I imagine it will be. It is so nice and soothing. every song off that album could fit on this mix. I know it seems out of place here, but I thought I'd bring you down quick before finishing off the mix. Let yourself drift....

13. Yes-Roundabout. fuck yeah! listen to that bass line! Yes is one of my favorite Prog Rock bands (original prog rock, that is.) I like putting this song on when at a Friday afternoon happy hour. makes everyones heart beat a little faster. I like it!


Well, That's that. Enjoy the sunshine, Friends. and come over tomorrow for the swap!

5 comments: