Friday, May 28, 2010

LONG weekend Mix!

HAPPY FRIDAY! HELL YES, Ive been waiting for this Friday all my life! I am so excited for a long weekend, and I'm taking Tuesday off, too. HOLLLLLER! I need this break, friends.

Anywho....this mix is all about long weekend happiness and summer fun. I think the way I'm gonna roll these mixes is do a mix mix every other week and the bi-weeks do a more specific theme (ie-last week was Motown.) I hope that is okay with you all. I just love making mixes. I hope you like them too!
Here is goes!
http://mixtape.me/p/16380

1. Reunion-Stars. I had never heard of Stars until I met Amanda. This is one of the first *new to me* bands she introduced me to. I think these guys know how to get it done. The lyrics of this song really strike up a summertime feel to me. enjoy it!
2. California Waiting-Kings of Leon. I think the first two Kings of Leon albums are their best. This little diddy comes from their first album. Things were a little more gritty back then and a little less arena rock. good stuff.

3. Nineteen-Tegan and Sara. Y'all know I live these sisters. they are so good. I remember hearing this song when I first came out and it moved me a little bit. I remember being young and not totally getting a specific close relationship I had and for whatever reason, this song connects me to those feelings.

4. Wide Eyes-Local Natives. In case you haven notice, I'm a little obsessed with this band. So beautiful. the Poly Rhythms, the harmonies, it all just gives me goosebumps. Looking out my window right now-into the giant blue sky, this song makes me feel really good.

5. Manic Depression-Jimi Hendrix Experience. Mitch Mitchell is one of my all time favorite drummers. He isn't just playing a beat, he is driving the song. And Jimi Hendrix-well there is a reason why he is legend.
6. Daydream in Blue-i monster. This was king of my mixes back in about 2003-2005. I really like it. it is real weird, but the vintage sounding vocals, background strings and slam into the chorus is pretty cool. It makes me bob my head. I like that.

7.Gin and Juice-Snoop Dogg. I don't feel like I really need to explain this one. I remember the video really well, I was in maybe 4th or 5th grade and I didn't always understand the lyrics. And now I do and it still makes me want to roll down some crowded road on a steamy summer eve. perhaps sippin on Gin and Juice.
8. Bag of Hammers-Thao and the Get Down Stay Down. Amanda and I saw these guys when they came to town a few years ago. They played the Triple Rock and not enough people were into it. A and I stood close, danced and sang throughout the show. At the end we went to thank Thao and tell her she is great. But she ended up telling us that WE were great, and she was watching us sing along and dance the whole show. She even told us WE were the best part of the show for her! HOW COOL!

9. Summertime-DJ jazzy Jeff and the Fresh Prince. Before Getting Jiggy wit it, and Just the two of Us, there was OLD SKOOL Fresh Prince. I love this shit. just lay back, because it IS summertime!!!!
10. The Gaudy Side of Town-Gayngs. So this mega group consists of a handful of great artist from Mpls. "Gayngs are an indie supergroup, led by producer Ryan Olson, and their debut album Relayted features as many as 25 musicians – members of a variety of Minneapolis bands including Solid Gold, Megafaun, Lookbook, Leisure Birds, Rhymesayers (rapper POS), the Rosebuds and, most famously, Bon Iver – Mike Noyce appears here on guitar and vocals, while Justin Vernon lends his sweet falsetto to a couple of tracks." I don't like solid gold, but everything else is great to me! Enjoy this long mellow hit.

11. Spoon-Car Radio. This is a live version of the song. (all I could find) This is also the very first Spoon song I ever heard. I was really into it in High School, and I had no idea who Spoon was. I just loved this song. Car Radios are directly connected to summer fun (if a car is involved....duh!)


12. The GoGo's-Vacation. All I ever wanted, all I ever needed.....

13. Go Do-Jonsi. Ive always really LOVED Sigor Ros, so this side project makes me happy. It is a little more upbeat than most of the Sigor Ros stuff-a little more pop friendly, if you will. It is prefect for a sunny *SUMMER* afternoon. While I have no idea what words he is singing (if they are even real words....) but they still sound beautiful. proof that not every good song needs to have amazing- moving lyrics. Sometimes the melody is enough.


14. Venus as a Boy-Bjork. Bjork blows my mind all the damn time. Her voice is the most amazing thing ever. And her music/mixing/creativity are unlike anyone else. I mean who decides they are going to make an album specifically dedicated to being listened to through headphones? Who decides to do that, and then pulls it off phenomenally?oh yeah, Bjork does (Vespertine)

15. The Boys are Back in Town-Thin Lizzy. I love this classic. Yes, I do sometimes think of Toy Story when I hear it, but I also think about summer back when I was a kid. Sitting in my grandpa's backyard, climbing my favorite tree listening to the brewers on AM radio. This song would come on sometimes during the games. I guess that is where the connect comes from.

Alright, Friends. That's all she wrote. Enjoy this lovely weather and LOOOONG weekend! Happy Memorial Day.

No comments:

Post a Comment