Friday, May 21, 2010

MOTOWN MADNESS

Happy Friday everyone. This weeks mix is made up of some of my favorite MOTOWN hits. Usually in my office on Friday, we throw down the Motown to get pumped for the weekend. Hope it helps you too.


ALSO, COME WATCH POLO THIS WEEKEND!!!

So, here is my mix of great MOTOWN.
http://mixtape.me/p/16205
1. Uptight-Stevie Wonder. Ive heard this song done by an assortment of artists, and I always love it. But there is something about the original that is so so good.
2. Just my imagination-The Temptations. I love vocal harmonies, so sweet. And with Motown, there is always a nice falsetto, and I love that. Their voices are just so soft and sweet in this one. I can imagine a nice sunny,country, afternoon drive in a big old shinny convertible....or something like that.
3. Baby, I love You-The Ronnettes. Look ta them. These gals are exactly what I picture when I think of Motown. More than 2 (in this case 3) matching people, all done up in an empty-ish (almost looks like your in a cloud) room, snapping and moving in sync. Me gusta.

4. Try a little Tenderness-Otis Redding. I ALWAYS picture that scene in Pretty in Pink where Ducky comes in and serenades Andie in the record shop. I really like that part and feel for Ducky, because who doesn't, right? This turned me onto Otis Redding when I was younger.
5. You Can't Hurry Love-Diana Ross and the Supreme's. These gals are like the queens of Motown. I almost always think of them when Motown is brought up. just great vocals, all around. I have a Supreme's Pandora station and I love it. part of the inspiration behind this mix.

6. Chain of Fools-Aretha Franklin. It was tough to pick what song to put on this by Aretha. I felt like I needed to put something that people could sing along with, but wasn't RESPECT. So, that brought me to Chain of Fools. Aretha beats all. In fact I'm always looking for more of her on Vinyl. if you have any and you arent listening to it, let me know.
7. Let's Get it On-Marvin Gaye. Yes, I've heard this song a million time, maybe TOO many times, and then I hear it again and I smile. This song was on the first time A and I kissed-talk about a made for TV movie (about Lesbians...) Enjoy.

8. Jimmy Mack-Martha Reeves and the Vandellas. I've always liked this song. I remember singing to it in the back of my moms old school big red boat of a car that we drove back in the 80's. No other good reason other than I like it.
9. Hit the road, Jack-Ray Charles. Again, this song really reminds me of being a kid. It had a comeback when that RAY movie came out (which was a pretty good movie-and pretty sad) but I was glad to hear more Ray Charles for a year or so. He has a great voice.

10. You Really Got a Hold on Me-Smokey Robinson. They used this song on sesame street. Does anyone else remember that? I sure do. Maybe I'll try to youtube that sometime. not today. I also really like the Piano on this song. I like 6/8 time signatures.
11. Reach Out I'll be There- the Four Tops. Hear that tambourine? i like that. keeps my head boppin' (if you will) and the bass line on this is pretty tight. Again, the solid beat makes me happy.
12. I Want You Back-Jackson 5. MJ, I want you back. Need I say more?
13. The tracks of My Tears-Smokey Robinson. I needed to add more smokey. I love him. I wish I knew him. This song is awesome. It was on the Jukebox back in my high school. And on several mixed tapes from my younger years.
Well, That is that. Happy Friday, Y'all. Enjoy the tunes and COME WATCH POLO TOMORROW!!!!!!

4 comments: