Thursday, May 27, 2010

Kafe 421

Life has been pretty busy for me lately. Lots going on, and like usual, Ive been packing my schedule-maybe too much....
Anyhow, based on our time apart as of late, Amanda asked me out on a date yesterday evening. It was surprise and I was very excited.

All I knew is that the place we were going had a good happy hour. So I did some research, and of course had no idea where we were going. But we headed to Dinkytown anyways as I guessed about where we could be off to. Turns out, A planned for us to hit up Kafe 421. We have eaten here before-the food is AMAZING and the place is pretty cool.

First off, their happy hour is from 3(i think) to 6. Happy Hour entails $3 beer and wine, $5 apps and Wednesday happened to be 1/2 price bottles of wine. So we split a bottle of wine and chose some items off the appetizer menu. We started with Calamari. While I am not a huge seafood fan, I can handle this stuff, and actually (usually) like it a lot. Amanda also likes it, especially with marinara sauce. It came with Tzatziki, and some sort of Cajun mayo. We also got an Eggplant Milanese. The eggplant was perfectly cooked, the tomato(and i usually don't touch those things) wasn't too overpowering, the mozzarella was SUPER fresh and the basil was great(reminds me that I need to get my herb garden going!) YUM!!!

Lastly, we got Gyro Empanadas. SO SO SO GOOD! I think this was our favorite. to be honest, though, this was not on the $5 app list. it was closer to $9, but worth it. and their Tzatziki is great. Our bottle of wine was really good too. some sort of white wine-not too sweet (we don't like that sweet shit!) and fairly cheap. The waitress told us that that particular bottle of wine was the favorite of server's there. And she said it was good for making spritzers, which A has been real into lately. We sat outside on a lovely evening and had a real good time. As per norm, my mood shifted slightly at one point, but I was able to recover. (Cayla has been in a sort of *funk* lately, and she isn't entirely sure why... :( I'm working on it.)

I suggest that if you haven't been to Kafe 421, you check it out. They also have a pretty good lunch special-soup and salad combo that is amazing. again, I don't typically care for tomatoes, or tomato soup, but they have an AMAZING tomato basil soup. try it.

Here is the link to the restaurant. As you can see, their entrees are a little pricey, but from what I recall, worth it! Enjoy, friends: http://www.kafe421.com/index.html

1 comment: