Tuesday, May 18, 2010

Local Native have my heart

I feel GREAT this morning. I feel alive, and in love and happy about the spring time and more importantly (well kinda...mini i guess) than all of that, I feel like I have had the kind of musical experience that reminds me all over again why music is SO important to me, my second love, even.

Last Night A and I had the PLEASURE of seeing Local Natives at the 400 Bar. See, the tickets sold out *real* quick, but A(being the sneaky girl she is) found some tickets on craigslist. At first, I felt they were a little over priced (more than double what they were sold for originally) but after the first 30 seconds of the show I could tell that they were worth every penny.


To begin, the 400 Bar is a pretty small, intimate setting/venue. It allowed for the audience (which happened to be a mixed bag of people, and everyone was pretty cool and very into the show) to really experience the music in a way that was much more than just observing and listening. It was moving!

We arrived when the band was doing their sound check. It was super hot inside the bar, but to be honest, I was kind of excited about that. Usually when it is real hot in a bar people dance like crazy because they know they will be sweaty at the end of the night no matter what. And dance they did!
We stood in a kind of weird spot, stage right and kind of behind this little half wall thing seen above. It was actually a pretty good spot to watch the show. We had enough room to dance, a ledge for our drinks and we could see the whole stage (except the head of the guitarists on stage right... ah well) Plus, if we got hot, or I had to go to the bathroom (which I ALWAYS have to do) it was real easy to get out of the crowd. Ive heard a lot of really good things about local natives and have listened to their record a handful of times. I knew I liked their music and would probably enjoy their show. But I had NO IDEA it was going to be as amazing as it was. honestly. let me just break it down. The things I look for in great music are pretty simple. I don't always expect all of these things coming from one band, but having a few of these traits is usually why I start listening to bands. A. Heavy/solid percussion (check) B. Beautiful harmonies (check) C. driving bass lines (check) D. haunting guitar riffs (check) E. moving lyrics (check) F. sweet poly rhythms yet taking advantage of an upbeat( check).....so basically, THIS BAND IS ALL I EVER WANTED IN MUSIC!
Seeing these guys live makes me miss playing music so much. It really made me want to play my drums. Their energy was amazing, their passion could be felt by all of us. I dunno, I fucking loved it. I wish I could see them tonight and tomorrow night and pretty much all the time. Let's get real. I have done ANY kind of rhythmic clapping with a crowd in over a decade. I just don't see it a fit thing to do. But without me even knowing it, it happened. I looked down and my hands had a mind of their own. They clapped with all the other jokers. It was THAT good.
This may sound crazy, and I mean it in a really good way (which again, may sound crazy to some of you) but there were things about the show last night that reminded me of being at a Rusted Root show back in 2002ish. everyone was moving, hypnotized by the music, loving every second of the show. SIDE NOTE: At every show I go to, I usually come in contact with some fool who decides it is a better idea to have a conversation with their friend then listen to the music. and i get frustrated and such. Last nights show was so good even the dip shit talkers were quiet (or singing along!) and enjoying the music! man. so so good.
And yes, they do sort of sound like grizzly bear, surfer blood, yeasayer, freelance whales and the likes. Some one asked me if they were just another part of the "Brooklyn movement." Well, No. First of all, they aren't from Brooklyn. they are from LA. secondly, maybe they sound similar to the above bands because they are part of a *genre* of music. is that such a bad thing? I don't think so. and the above bands listed, well you know I like 'em. But I think Local Natives may have just won first place in my heart. I suppose I should let time tell that one. Will they hold up over a period of time? what a silly question, of course they will.... Anyone living in other cities where they are playing- GO SEE THEM LIVE! you wont be disappointed, I promise. We even stayed out way past our bedtimes and A was still feeling alive and up at the end of the night. Now THAT says something!
Hope you all feel as good as me after listening to some of their tunes: http://mixtape.me/p/16121

No comments:

Post a Comment