Thursday, October 28, 2010

SCARY MOVIES!!!!

I love scary movies.  a lot.  But A isn't as into them as I am.  And that is fine.  I can still convince her to see one or two a year, usually around Halloween.  I'm a junky for getting scared.  I watch something, and without a doubt, get all freaked out.  My heart starts to race and I start thinking about "what if" situations.  I think of myself in the position of whoever is getting stalked, killed, haunted, etc....and then I try to think about what would I do if I were in their shoes.  This ends in me waking in the middle of the night and thinking "is that a person standing in the corner, or just my bathrobe draped over the door...."

The reason I bring this up is because Amanda is still out of town (in Savannah)  and I have had to sleep alone a lot this week.  And because I'm alone, when I wake in the night, it is harder to fall back asleep.  Especially if I wake because the dogs start barking, because this makes me think they are barking because someone is breaking in. 

I have also been on a big "Criminal Minds" kick.  I can't stop watching the show.  I find myself thinking about where the unsub may be hiding, or being more aware of my surroundings, having my keys ready at all times, and in general being alert.  I'm not sure if this is a good or bad thing.  Why does TV make me get a little nutsy?

Are there certain shows or movies that get you scared?  Like I said, I love scary movies and have seen a lot of classics, but still need to see more.  Here are some of the scariest and Ill explain why.
1. IT I saw this movie as a kid (you will notice a theme with this) and it scared the shit out of me.  I was afraid of rainy days, because I thought a clown from the sewer was going to kill me.  That movie is epic.  I remember watching it one of the last nights of my Sophomore year at the U.  My friend was one of the last people staying in the dorms.  Her room was empty except a tv/vcr, mattress and a suitcase.  Kelly, Jamie and I watched that movie in the empty dorms and when it came to going to the bathroom, we were all totally freaked out.  I just kept imagining the showers turning on and hearing the voice of Pennywise calling my name.  YIKES!
2. Pet Sematary Another movie I saw when I was probably too young to be watching things like that.  I mean the whole movie it totally creepy.  Yes, it is scary that things are coming back from the dead, but man, the character "Zelda"  the sister that had some sort of disease.  That was some scary stuff.  And the woman who hangs herself?  I was young, and didn't get it, and that scared me too.  I just remember thinking that I better not ever come across a pet sematary....
3.  Candyman  Again, I saw this at a young age and it terrified me.  I had to ask my mom to sit in the bathroom with me every time I showered for like a month.  I was so scared that I would look in my mirror and looking back at me would be Candyman.  All of my friends knew that it scared me.  Anytime we got into a sitaution where we were in the dark, and near a mirror, someone would slowly say "Cannnndy mannnn."  Then I would punch them in the arm and tell them I didn't want to hang out if they were going to scare me.  I watched it again a few years ago and it is still pretty creepy, but nothing like when I was 9.
4.  The Shining.  a classic.  I think everyone has seen this movie, as you should.  I mean, come on!  having your dad go totally nuts in a giant empty hotel and come after you?  creepy.  Ghosts of slaughtered twins, creepy.  a rotting old corspe-ish woman cackling in a bathtub, CREEPY!
5. The Ring/Ringu  I thought this movie was pretty great.  The Japanese version is creepier than the American version, but that is common in Japanese horror films.  visually, they terrify me.  But I think all the creepy images from the video tape within the movie added to the discomfort (in a good way) of watching this film.
6. Texas Chainsaw Massacre.  Again, classic gorefest.  This is a bloody, pretty gross movie.  See, I typically like ghost/haunting movies better.  The ones where someone is slaughtering humans like animals usually just grosses me out.  This is no different, but it is so short and intense the whole time, it makes it worth the watch. 
7. Scream  I love Scream.  It came out when I was a teen, and for the first time in a while, we had a good horror trilogy going on.  I like that it has humor, but is still pretty insane.  The opening of that movie is great, and puts you in the place where you need to be in order to appreciate the rest of the movie.

8.  Re-Animator.  I saw this movie at when I was in High School.  It was a midnight movie and my brother's punk band(at the time) opened for the show.  This is a ridiculous movie from the 70's, a cult classic even.  it is outrageous.  I mean, so goofy that you need to see it. 
9.  Alien  I have this quadrilogy.  In college, my roommate was really into great scifi.  Kelly got me to watch the original Alien, and I was hooked.  so creepy.  you never know exactly what is going on, or who is infected.  And the Alien is the first of its kind.
image source
10.  Last House on the Left (original).  This movie is fucked up.  like really really fucked up.  I remember as a kid my mom telling me it was the scariest movie she had ever seen.  And I didn't know what that meant.  I had no idea what it was about, and my parents never told me.  Around Halloween during my senior year of college, I decided to watch it.  fucked up.  and scary.
11.  El Orfanato.  Amazing.  this film is beyond creepy.  And it really is a great story.  But it is pretty creepy.  I saw it in the theater a few years back, and I was mini afraid to be alone for a good few days. This is an incredible ghost story. This is the one you all should see.  I don't think enough people have seen it/recognized it.  But it is amazing. 

And that my friends, is a run down on *some* of my favorite horror flicks.  I hope you get a chance to watch one of these in the next few days.

No comments:

Post a Comment