Wednesday, October 13, 2010

Minneapolis treasures?

Happy hump day, amigos.  It is a mighty fine Wednesday, isn't it?  As I sit in my very small office and listen to the current play the same songs they played yesterday, I gaze out the window (which is a treasure in my place of work.  very few desks have windows directly above them!) at the cloudless blue sky and think, "Hot damn, I love Fall!"

 Now I know I have said that before.  actually Ive probably mentioned that in every post I have made since August.  And it is still true. 

Today, my fall love comes from a  different place.  It comes from the host in me.  See this weekend my bestie from MKE (MANDA!) is coming to town.  Manda has been to the cities tons of times, and we have done many of the fun, touristy type Minnesota things.  We have done the Mall, the MIA, the Weisman, the Sculpture Garden, Como Zoo and Conservatory, and gone to a dozen restaurants that I love (mainly the Late Great Dinkytowner.)

This weekend, I am on the hunt to try some different things. Restaurants we haven't visited, Museums even I haven't been to, and so on.  Manda will be getting here on Thursday evening, and we will probably keep it low key.

Friday, we have plans to hit up Cause (http://www.spiritsandsound.com/) to see the Naj's band (New Century Masters: (http://www.facebook.com/newcenturymasters)  Manda has not seen Tony's band so it should be fun.

On Saturday, we hope to go to the Museum of Russian Art (http://www.tmora.org/)  I have never been to this museum but it from the looks of it, I think we will enjoy it.
I can't believe I have never even seen this place...
Perhaps after the museum we could check out the fall colors at Minnehaha Falls.  That place is lovely.  plus, it has Sea Salt, which is one of my favorite little places. 

I think Saturday we will be heading to Nye's (http://www.nyespolonaise.com/), which (being honest here...even though it is a sad thing) Ive only been to once or twice.  I don't think I haven't ever even eaten there and I date a straight up polish girl....

But when it comes to Sunday, I'm not sure what to do.  I want to take Amanda to a great breakfast joint.  I was thinking Victor's, because I like that place.  But I'm just not sure.  I need suggestions on good breakfast places.  So please.  holler back.

Also, what makes Minneapolis amazing to you?  I have a handful of things that I love about this city.  and of course restaurants and museums and that sort of thing come into play.  But so do things like bike trails along the river, and secret beaches, and hidden roads that have great views of downtown at dusk.
So tell me what you all think.  What makes Minneapolis a gem to you?

1 comment:

  1. mmmm breakfast places.... I've taken out of town friends to Hard Times for breakfast, and friends have taken me to Copper Dome, both are fantastic. My friends and I make the trek to Cheeky Monkey in St. Paul sometimes as well...Hell's Kitchen has good breakfast, or at least they did in Duluth before they just made it a burger place or whatever (not bitter). I also love French Meadow, and I assume they have breakfast that is amazing as well... :)

    As for fave places in the city... all of the patios (favorite= common roots on lyndale), the park near my house where I can watch the building of the Lowry bridge, and even though it is usually frat-tastic on a Friday night, if I go there with my friends and dance til 2, Gastof's. I love it. And now I can walk there. There are lots more, but I need to get ready for work now!

    ReplyDelete