Friday, July 16, 2010

The Windy City

CHICAGO BOUND!(happy Friday!) Amanda and I are heading out this afternoon to go down to Chicago to visit a few friends, but more importantly, her, Brittany and I are going to LILITH FAIR!!!!!

I am pretty excited. I went to the first 2 Lilith Fair's back in the 90's and loved it (LOOOOONG before I came out/even thought about it) So I look forward to seeing this show. Out of all the performers is La Roux, Sarah McLaughlin and HEART (yes, as in one of my favorites-Nancy and Ann Wilson...HEART!!!) I will do a write up after the weekend.

ENJOY! http://mixtape.me/p/17269

1. Chicago-Frank Sinatra. I love this song. It reminds me of my step-grandmother, Marge. She *loves* frank. like LOVES. My favorite story of hers is about going to Chicago as a youngster to see Frank with her girlfriend and they got all dolled up and did their hair and such and when she saw him, almost fainted.

2. Chicago(We Can Change the World)-CS&N. As you know, I love CS&N (and CSNY). So of course I'd use this song. I think music from this era is so amazing because of the stories being told-the history in them. Hearing songs like this, and Ohio (also by these guys) and hearing about riots and rights and freedom and things that I sometimes take for granted (except that whole gay marriage thing-still working for that.)
3. Chicago at Night-Spoon. This is off of Girls Can Tell (their third album) however it is a live version of the song. I think the organ/keys sound pretty great on this one. And there is a pretty cool break down/build thing going on too.

4. Chicago-Sufjan Stevens. This particular song/album reminds me a whole lot of Brittany. It came out the year we both lived in Uptown and took an amazing road trip to New Orleans. I remember listening to this song a handful of times on that trip. I also recall listening to this album on a still, winter afternoon in the passenger seat of Brittany's pick up on the way to visit/meet her father, the infamous CHUCK! (Picture Leo from that 70's show, but less stupid and more into photography.) Anyways, enjoy the strings, brass, and in general gorgeous song.
5. Is Chicago Is Not Chicago-Soul Coughing. I really love this song. It was put on a mix for me back in High School and i really got into it. Also, Dave Matthews Band used to cover it on rare occasion. I really like the bass line and drum beat, not to mention M. Daughty's voice.

6. Chicago seemed Tired Last Night-the Hold Steady. I love how the Hold Steady tells stories that you can really get into. I hear his lyrics and I am really visualizing what he is talking about (or how I interpret it.) Also, they know how to rock and roll. HARD. and get down on a piano! (I like this Mpls-now NYC band a lot.)
7. My Way Home-Kanye (feat. Common). One of the biggest rappers to come out of Chicago, I had to add Kanye. Although he is full of himself and I don't care for him as a person, he does make some pretty good music. Just one of the many about Chicago.
8. Jesus just left Chicago-ZZ Top. Believe it or not, ZZ Top is f*ing awesome. They have an amazing blues/rock sound. I feel like my new band has a little ZZ Top in us. Anyhow, I like a good blues song that talks about Jesus and throws down a hard guitar solo. I hope you do too.

9. Star Witness-Neko Case. Bringing it down a hair, here is a little Neko Case singing about the Chi. Now you may be thinking-wtf, why is this on here...i hear nothing about Chicago. Well, I was just reading up on songs about Chicago before making this mix and according to the interwebs I was checking, this is about Chicago. Either way, A little Neko Case can't hurt!
10. Chi City-Common. I really like Common. I think he is an amazing artist(and pretty attractive). He is another Chicago native that throws down amazing rhymes. I know that sounds silly, but I'm totally serious. Some hip hop is too much for me, but this is typically what I'm looking for. Just listen to the story he is telling. that's that.

11. Happy Summertime-R.Kelly(feat. Snoop Dogg). Because I made a cut on R.Kelly last weekend (I, myself find his lyrics to be disgusting. While his music is catchy and such and he does have a nice voice, it makes me feel gross times 100 to hear him talking about constantly having sex and doing other dirty things, knowing that he is perv-ish and pee's on people during the act, but that's just me) I decided it would be nice to find a song by him that isn't TOO dirty-well that's barely possible, but it is a throw down about the chi, as well.
12. Come On! Hear the Illinoise!- Sufjan Stevens. It is hard to not have more than one of his songs on here, considering this album is called Illinois. This song gives me goosebumps. I am a total band dork at heart (PERCUSSION!!!) and this song just blows my mind. the rhythm is amazing, the woodwinds are so nice, and then they lyrics just throw it over the top. He is a genius, as far as I am concerned.

12.Far Far Away-Wilco. Wilco is another great band from Chicago. Not only is this song about Chicago, it is a very nice closer to a mix. brings you back down-mellows you out, if you will. I love the Lap steel/slide guitar going on. very pretty-very alt. county Wilco.
Well there you have it-A Chicago themed mix! I hope you all enjoy it. Any if you are in the twin cities, check out the Bicycle Film Festival-going on all weekend! http://www.bicyclefilmfestival.com/

No comments:

Post a Comment