Friday, July 2, 2010

American, I Love You!

Happy 4th of July weekend, friends! 4th of Jukly happens to be one of my favorite Holidays. You've got fireworks, picnic, parades, marching bands all in one place. Love it. This America weekend has inspired me to make a God Bless the USA-kinda mix. So, all of the following songs have some sort of Americana feel. I hope you enjoy!
http://www.mixpod.com/playlist/59232837
1. America-Simon and Garfunkel. One of my favorite songs ever. I mean EVER. I love this one. so beautiful, such nice harmonies, and it really makes me get that road trip across the US kind of feeling. gives me goosebumps every time I hear it.
2. 16 Military Wives-the Decemberists. They have a lot of songs that have some sort of American feel. I picked this one and another. I like this song, it is catchy and upbeat. I hope you enjoy!

3. Winter in American-Gil Scott Heron. Real gritty American soul music. That's what I call this. Imagine all the years of this particular style of music was played with one busted guitar, while some older grey-haired gent sits on his front porch in ripped overalls and a sweat through shirt, after a 12 hours day.... Can't see it? Just me? I dunno, it makes me want to be at a real relaxed type of July 4th celebration.
4. Young Americans-David Bowie. What can I say, I'm a sucker for bowie. I like this one. I remember hearing it when I was a kid and not totally understanding what he was saying. Sometimes I still feel this way.

5. One Nation Under a Grove-Funkedelic. I wish we WERE one nation under a groove. Do you know how much less war we would have? Something about funk screams summer to me. Drinking in backyards lit by bonfires, lightning bugs and cigarette cherries. Ahhhh summertime.
6. New York-Ryan Adams. I love this song. I love new York. this song makes me think of all the reasons why I actually am happy to be American.
7. Ashes of American Flags-Wilco. Bringing it down a bit here. With the strings and typical Wilco guitar/Jeff Tweedy sound, i get sort of emotional. But Wilco does that to me. Its very down and out. Kind of makes me feel sad, but in an alright way. The guitar work at the end is pretty awesome.
8. Independence Day-Bruce Springsteen and the E street Band. Another group that has a lot of Americana-ish songs. Amanda suggested this one, so here we go. I know, I could have done Born in the USA but you all have heard that probably 100 times before.99. July July-The Decemberists. Bringing it back up with the Decemberists. I really like this song. Every time I hear it (regardless if it is July or November) I think of how nice our summers are and I am grateful for my Minneapolis lakes and such. Enjoy.

10. Lump-Presidents of the United States of America. Didn't think I'd dust this one off, did ya11. America-West Side Story. I happen to be a sucker for musicals and Westside Story is one of the best ever. I love this song, I love the "PR" accents. Sorry if you find this song ridiculous, it is real cool. And the time signature gives it that PR feel, if you will. I wish I could roll my tongue and ehhhhYaaaaa with them. basic jist-the girls love America, the boys think it isn't so great. classic.

12. Fireworks-Louis Armstrong. What is an American classic mix without the great American classic, Louis Armstrong. A: American music would not be the same without this guy B: he and I share the same birthday. I wish we had a dixieland club around here...
13. Living in America-The Sounds. A nice upbeat chick rock song about living in America. Need I say more?

14. Firecracker-Ryan Adams. I love this song. The summer after my freshman year of college a few friends and I painted houses for College Pro. I must have listened to this album everyday for 2 months straight. It also has one of my favorite lines in a siong, EVER. "broken bluesy whisper, sing to me tonight." I really love it.
15. Breakfast in America-Supertramp. This is another band I listened to a lot of as a kid. So this isn't the whole band playing, but I kind of like this acoustic-type version. I used to pretend I was a clarinet player in this band (and Saxophone on their song Dreamer....) back when I was like 7. Pretty cool, huh?

16. Star Spangled Banner/Purple Haze-Jimi Hendrix. Best version of this song ever. period. 17. All American Girl-Carrie Underwood. What can I say. I like her, Even if this song is cheese-tastic and silly. I neglected to put ANY other country music on here for as reason. So what if I put Carrie at the end, right?

Well guys, have a great 4th of July. Enjoy some fireworks, or parades, or picnics. or one of the many 10,000lakes. GodBlessAmerica, BABY!

No comments:

Post a Comment