Friday, July 9, 2010

Driving Mix

Happy Friday. We made it. We survived the week. Today is just a breeze, right? I hope so. To help you get through your Friday, here is yet another rad mix. It is a road trip mix, of sorts, as I am driving to Milwaukee later on today.

I love making mixes for road trips. I usually make a few with different themes. Today I just want something that will keep me up and going. I feel this mix will do the trick. Some ups, some downs, a little of everything.



I hope you enjoy the roadtripmix!

http://mixtape.me/p/17147


1. Get Innocuous- LCD Soundsystem. I really like LCD Soundsystem. I remember the day I bought this album. A and I had just started dating and took our first trip to Electric Fetus together. I got LCD Soundsystem and Yeasayer. She got Thao and the get down stay down. Then I made her Spaghetti and Meatballs for the first time and watched a bunch of L Word together. Ohh the memories.2. Alala-CSS. A girl I worked with about 4 years ago made me a mix CD. She worked at RadioK and had awesome taste. This song blew my mind. It makes me want to go out and have a damn good time. I miss my dance party days. 3. Swimming Pools-Thao and the Get Down Stay Down. We recently saw Thao (ill review it soon) and it reminded me of how much I love her. She has SO MUCH energy on stage. She makes you want to dance just by watching her. Love it.


4. The Big Fight-Stars. I love the vocals in this band. So pleasant and beautiful. And the lyrics are great. I think once you have gotten out a little energy in the first 20 minutes of your drive, you need something to bring you back down and lose track of time for a bit. I think Stars is really good at doing that. And then it breaks into something totally different and the trip feels like it has really began. 5. That was just a Dream-Cut Copy. This song is great. with the road trip thing-I like electronic music while driving. Their is a flow you feel and really experience (or maybe I'm just weird) but everything feels so fluid. Unfortunately, this version gets cut early. But you get the feel.


6. Never Ending Math Equation-Modest Mouse. This is the shit I LOVE. I love their older stuff, Isaac Brock has more raw emotion in his voice-there is still that youth in there. I first got into Modest Mouse the same summer I happen to drive back and forth to Milwaukee about 6 times. And I would listen to their album (whatever one I chose that day) over and over and sing at the top of my lungs. That was the same summer that I first started to begin looking at my attraction towards females. I had a lot of emotions flying through me as well.7. Sunlight-Matt Pond PA. I just recently started listening to this stuff. It comes up on my Pandora a lot. I heard it the other day and really liked the hand claps. And I like the lyrics.


8. NYC-Interpol. I'm still learning about this band. Their sound has changed from album to album, and because I never really listened to them, I'm just starting to figure out what I like/don't like about what. I like how this song builds, and has a really big sound for a song that isn't really too loud, or fast or anything like that. The sound feels like it could fill up a huge old warehouse somewhere. That is what I picture seeing as I hear this song.
9. Anthem for a seventeen year old girl-Broken Social Scene. I first heard this song in a townhouse-part of a bunch of townhouses called "Skid Row," right near the campus of the University of Delaware. That was about 6 or 7 years ago. This song has been real significant several times in my life and is one of my all time favorites. I think if you just stop doing whatever you are doing and simply listen to this song, you won't regret it. It is beyond beautiful.


10. You've Got the Love-Florence and the Machine. Every road trip mix needs a song sung by a woman with an incredibly powerful, soulful, moving vibe. This is the song that I am feeling today that falls under that category. I would really love to see these guys live. 11. Lake Michigan-Rogue Wave. Do I need to explain the motivation of this song as we take a road trip to Milwaukee, next to my favorite great lake? But I will say, I like these guys-have a similar sound to Local Natives-that heavy percussion. All the rhythmic stuff going on-love it.


12. Were is my Mind-The Pixies. I like this song. I know y'all hear it a lot, but I think it is another fun sing at the top of your lungs while on a road trip jam. Try it next time you are in the car. It is great.



13. Band the Drum-Todd Rundgren. This is my Dad's ultimate weekend jam. I heard it a lot growing up-they play it on the local MKE classic rock station every Friday (or used to) and whenever my dad wants people to get pumped up and/or start partying, he throws this one on. Love it :)


14. Heavy Soul-Black Keys. The Black Keys are awesome. I love the grittiness-some real raw rock n' roll. His voice is exactly what I want when I drinking a Blatz and smoking a smoke on some dirty patio at a Milwaukee (dive)bar.

15. The Skin of My Yellow Country Teeth-Clap Your Hands Say Yeah. This song still makes me excited. When I first got this album I would drive around just to listen to it (on CD player I had at the time was in my car) and just get so into it, I would have to pull over sometimes. I like it :)


16. Hyperballad-Bjork. Bjork is my hero. She is also one of those artists that should be on a good road trip mix. I really like how this particular song just keeps building and adding more to the complex beats. By the end, you cant help but be moving a bit. Her voice is also beyond amazing.


Well that's that. I hope you guys liked it. Ill be back in town on Sunday evening, after Holland beats Spain. (GO ORANGE!)





No comments:

Post a Comment