Monday, June 14, 2010

WORLD CUP FEVER!


GOOOOOOOOOOOOAAAAAALLLLLL!!
Has it really been 4 years already? Hard to believe it was 4 years ago that I was road tripping to Gettysburg, D.C., Philly and the likes trying to see as many games(well, actually doing a 4th of July tour of Historic America with my roommate at the time) as possible in whatever bar was playing them. Man, that was a fun road trip.....

ANYHOW, it is world cup time again. I really love watching soccer, especially the World cup. I dunno, something about the idea of most countries in the world putting aside differences, pausing wars (well, some places do this) and coming together to support one great cause; SOCCER! I know that sounds corny, but I'm totally serious. I love how it brings people together!

Saturday marked the first game played by the United States team, who happens to have a shot this year (or so I've read.) This year, the US is in a bracket with England, Slovenia and Algeria. To be honest, I don't know much about the other teams, but I knew that Saturdays game against England was a big one.

Of course Beckham's England thinks they've got it, but our boys pulled it together and held them to a 1-1 tie. England came out real hard and scored in the first few minutes. I hadn't even arrived to my destination yet. I was on my bicycle, in the rain, busting ass to get to the Nomad (a Mpls bar that was showing the game to a few hundred people, including a HUGE big screen in their parking lot) hoping to make it in time for the kick off. But like I said, I missed it.

When I did arrive at the Nomad, it was crazier than I imagined. There were SO many people, and the bar itself was over capacity so they were sending people to the parking lot to watch. I snuck in to meet up with a friend I hadn't seen in a while. It was a great way to reunite. So when i arrived, the US was down 0-1. It was a really good game-a lot of great plays, and eventually the US scored to tie it (a botch, sort of. It looked like the shot hit someone, changing the direction of the ball slightly, so that when it got to the keeper-an almost straight on shot spun out of his hands and trickled past the goal line. cheap, but a goal none the less.) And the rest of the game was pretty back and forth.

The US keeper, Tim Howard, had an awesome game. He was making amazing saves left and right. I myself played Keeper for years, so I pay most attention to them. One play I found to be amazing was the save the he actually got hurt on. It was a one on one situation, the ball was a tad to far away from the English player who was charging the goal, so he slide out (cleats up-asshole) to get the shot in, however Howard was already there, which meant English dudes cleats went straight into Howard's ribs. ( Article about how he is doing http://voices.washingtonpost.com/soccerinsider/2010/06/tim_howard_cleared_to_play_for.html ) Not that you care much about it, but Ive been watching coverage about how South Africa prepared to have the worlds largest sporting event held in their Nation for the next month. A few things I have found interesting-there are 10 (i think) fields being played on. At least one of them is shaped like a traditions African clay pot. I am sure there is a special name for it, but I cant think of it. Anyhow, when you look at the stadium from far away, it really does look like a big clay pot. really cool. (it is the 4th one down in the right column) Also, the big thing to sport at games is this thing called a "Vuvuzela." This ridiculous horn thing, that everyone has apparently, has been all the talk lately. People are complaining that they are too loud and players cannot concentrate. I'm not totally sure how to look at this. A. yes, I get it may be distracting. That makes sense. but B. Aren't you the best players in your country? Shouldn't you be able to tune shit out and focus on the game? I dunno. But it is funny that these things are getting so much hype. I hope to watch some more soccer this week, if I can find time. Ill keep you updated. Also, watch the world cup. it is worth it. it is the best soccer you will see. GO USA!!! for more information, check out this: http://www.ussoccer.com/News/Mens-National-Team/2010/06/World-Cup-Update-For-June-13.aspx

No comments:

Post a Comment