Tuesday, June 8, 2010

What's in a name?

Happy Rainy Tuesday, Mpls and beyond. It is crazy raining today, but I am kind of enjoying it. I'm sure this means I will be watching a movie tonight at work with my little buddy. Maybe we can finish AristoCats....
As some/most of you know, I have been playing music again! I started playing a bit with a few buddies of mine-guys that I was originally reluctant to connect with, based on their crazy lifestyles and debauchery alone (and if you know ME, then you know these guys must be REALLY wild). However, they have grown a bit in the last few years and let's face it, they are REALLY GREAT musicians.

So, I've been playing with these guys for the last few weeks, and have been enjoying it. The sound is different than what I am used to playing, which presents an exciting challenge. My last band knew my drumming style very well. They knew what I was capable of, or what they could expect. Part of this new challenge is not only pleasing the guys who write the music and connecting my sound with what they want, but ALSO trying to get them to hear *me* and understand how I play. So far, so good.
As of now, we have been playing a lot of songs that they have been playing for years with other musicians and such. So it is really like catch up for Hawk (new bassist) and I. And Hawk is pretty awesome at the bass. I think we are both doing pretty well at connecting with these guys and learning their material.
We also plan to write some new stuff. I say "we" and maybe you assume that Ill be pitching in on lyrics, or guitar riffs, but who are we kidding. Ill be helping add some fresh drumbeats, because that is what I am good at. We hope to start playing shows soon with the material we have, but develop more songs and play some better gigs as we get more comfortable (Our first show will *probably* be at The Terminal Bar, because why not-it will be nice to get some stage presence figured out and get comfortable with each other outside of Jack's basement bedroom.
The thing here is, we can't book a show until we have a SOLID NAME. These guys used to go under "Old Time Religion" which is actually the name of a different band as well. They had a few other names over the last few years. But I am all about new people, new project, NEW NAME.
Which leads me to... What makes a good band name? I think about some of my favorite bands and they have great catchy names that seem to fit their sound. The Decemberists, Local Natives, Talking Head, even Black Sabbath. All of these bands seem to have matched their sound and band name very well. But what came first? Does a name sound good, regardless of the sound, does it need to match the sound, or does it begin to match the sound AFTER the band starts playing under that name?
(The below link is a nice way of looking at band names in the genre of Metal and such. enjoy!)
http://www.boston.com/bostonglobe/ideas/brainiac/flow_heavymetal.jpg

We are in the process of trying to figure something out. Our music is blues driven, for sure. But it is Rock n' Roll. But it is more complex than your standard verse/chorus, verse/chorus, bridge/ chorus. I mean, yes that is the structure of some songs, but there are a handful of tunes that are more complex and have different (some what confusing) parts. Not to mention that it is gritty the way I like it! I think that that matters when coming up with name. What do you think?
Honestly, if you have NEVER commented before, or don't usually do it, please comment this time. THINK HARD!!!! I am looking for some suggestions. Even if your idea of a band name isn't something you think we'd use, it helps with the creative process. So PLEEEEEEAAAAASE, give me your opinion, creativity and such. I will forever be grateful. I don't want to be called JokerTown (one of the ideas that the guys have for the band name.....)
Thanks Friends. More to come on upcoming shows!

5 comments:

  1. You need something that matches your sound. But it needs to be a little mysterious and intriguing. So when I see your band's name, I should be all "what's that all about, I don't get it, but I like it." So then I check out your band and then think "oh, now I get it, that's a cool name."

    ReplyDelete
  2. Oh, I wanna hear this band!! I am trying to think, but everything I come up with is sort of cosmic moon volcano- "Sunstorm Summer", "Hot Lava", etc., which seems more take-off-your-neon-pants-and-dance than what you've described. . .

    I'll keep thinking.

    hearts, Kate :)

    ReplyDelete
  3. Any name but Gay Witch Abortion. Yuck. This is really hard. It's like me trying to think of a possible/future derby name. I think that you need to look at favorite book titles, literary references (love songs of J. Alfred Prufrock), song references , etc., I think Decemberists was a historical reference, which may be up your ally, too. The right name will come. I agree that it needs to make you think, Hmmm, what are they all about? --AA

    ReplyDelete