Friday, June 4, 2010

Childhood Mix!

Happy Friday, Friends!
Today my mix is a little tribute to my parents. I don't think they credit themselves enough in regards to introducing my brother and I to good music at a young age. While Corey and I have pretty different tastes, I think it is because music that we have so many similarities. My parents listened to music a lot. It was always on in the car, and my dad STILL plays the classic rock station at his office.

Anyhow, I think both our parents were really open to us listening to whatever we wanted (well, most everything, during that 90's rap stage my brother went through he definitely had a cassette of N.W.A. hidden behind his dresser...) and that helped us form our own musical identity. We also both went into playing music-both percussionists and now mainly just drummers, but we both still play, which is impressive!
So here it is-my childhood mix!!! ENJOY:http://mixtape.me/p/16499

1. The Long Run-The Eagles. My Mom loves the Eagles. She always has. It may be because she has a big crush on Don Henley. Anyhow, We saw them live a handful of years ago and it was an amazing show. I have a handful of friends who gave me shit about it, but I really don't care, because I like them. 2. Valerie-Steve Winwood. I can't help that I'm a child of the 80's. Things like Steve Winwood's solo career make me happy. Don't worry, I like traffic a lot too, but I love this shit on a whole different level. I remember hearing him on the radio a lot as a kid. the cheesy synth crap-love it, fake drums-why not. It just makes me smile and kinda give me goosebumps...still...(iknowimlame...)
3. Woodstock-Crosby Stills Nash and Young. One reason why I like this song so much is because it is electric. I very much their acoustic stuff, don't get me wrong. But I'm a drummer, so I like hearing drums in their music. Plus, they still are doing amazing harmonies. I like the Joni Mitchell version a lot too. But we listened to a lot of CSNY growing up. This group taught me a thing or two about lyrics and how powerful they can be. Again, one of my Mom's favorites. In fact we saw them live once and their drunk gal in front of us kept talking. So my mom bitched her out about waiting years to see them and spending money on tickets and how she should sit down or go to a bar to talk. Go Mom! 4. Vix 9-Bela Fleck and the Flecktones. You may be thinking this is an odd pick. Well, don't be confused. While my dad is way into classic rock, he is also cool and hip. Well, he was way into Bela fleck before all my hippie friends in high school and college. We listened to them a lot on long car drives. This is one of my favorites.
5. (I can't get no)Satisfaction-The Rolling Stones. My dad's favorite band is the Rolling Stones. He LOVES them. when I went through his record collection to bring to school, the Rolling Stones were off limits. Those albums were his babies. He also has said more than once that the only 2 things he would ever get tattoo on his body would be the Miller girl on the moon, or the Stones lips. Ive always found this song to be catchy. driving drums, sweet guitar lick, and great lyrics, right?
6. Penny Lane-The Beatles. Like stated above, my Dad was more of a Stones than Beatles guy. My mom liked the Beatles, but not like some kids parents-you know those kids who are obsessed with the Beatles in like 6th grade thru high school and it is all they listened to growing up...well yeah, I'm not like that. This song is connected to a memory of mine (go figure!) I remember it being on a commercial that ran during day time Nickelodeon. It was one of those "buy the best of the Beatles...only $19.95 plus S&H" Anyhow, always makes me think of being in my Grandma's kitchen.

7. Up Around the Bend-Credence Clearwater Revival. Ive never heard either of my parents mark these guys as a favorite, but I swear we listened to them a lot. I know all of their songs, and still enjoy them. I remember buying one of their Cd's (probably a best of) in middle school and thinking I was SO cool.
8. Stand By Me- Ben E. King. Who remembers the Wonder Years episode when Kevin gives Winnie his jacket on the swings and I think they kiss for the first time? I do. I remember feeling some really intense emotions(especially as a 6 year old) watching that scene. I'm pretty sure I wanted to be Kevin, not Winnie, but have a Winnie to kiss. I guess I sort of always knew I liked girls, in some way. Thanks Wonder Years for helping me with that :)
9. Take the Money and Run-Steve Miller Band. We had a tape of the best of Steve Miller band in our Mini van when I was heavy into soccer. My dad and I drove all over the US for tournaments and listened to tons of tapes,but ALWAYS Steve Miller Band, Bela Fleck and Tom Petty and the Heartbreakers and The Cars. 10. Behind Blue Eyes-The Who. We had an old mustang when I was a kid-a 2 door, green hatchback with light brown interior. I used to love laying ion the back of it in winter time and watching the snowflakes fall down on the big hatchback window. I heard this the other day and it brought me back.
11. Spirits in the Material World-The Police. My dad used to take my brother and I golfing a lot when I was in like 3-5th grade. It was always a fun time. And eventually I played golf in high school. Anyhow, I remember going one time and getting half way through the back 9 at Hansen when it started POURING down rain. We had to run into the woods, and eventually just go back to our car. This song was on when we got back into the car, so I think of that golfing trip every time that I hear it. I also love Stewart Copeland's drumming style. Another favorite of mine.

12. Aqualung-Jethro Tull. Another one of my Dad's favorite bands. Anytime I hear Ian Anderson, I think of my dad. I like how this song has such distinctive parts that come together for a long epic piece.

13.Born to Run-Bruce Springsteen. This song is pretty powerful! What amazing lyrics, what an amazing band. I also saw the Boss with my mom and hot damn, he is AWESOME live. so much energy, especially for an older guy. Being that A LOVES him, i listen more now to him than I did back then, but still. I also remember pretending to play the sax part in the middle on my plastic saxophone I got for Christmas one year. 14. Do It Again-Steely Dan. I really wanted to put Reelin' in the Years on here, but couldn't find it. That is my ultimate FAVORITE childhood song. But I like Do it Again too. Steely Dan reminds me of helping my dad work at his office, or go to Builder Square/homedepot/menards. I always wanted to go with him to those hardware stores, and my brother very rarely was interested in that stuff. I think my Dad is lucky he got a tom boy.
Alright friends, That's it. ENJOY!! and happy weekend!

No comments:

Post a Comment