Friday, June 25, 2010

(PRIDE) Weekend Mix!

Happy Friday! and HAPPY PRIDE WEEKEND!!! Both A and I are pretty excited for this weekend. And that is why I made a mix that will help you all get pumped up. There is a little dyke rock (like T&S) a little dyke folk/rock (think Indigo girls and Ani) a little get you going (Bone thugs), MJ because we will never forget June 25th, and some other stuff too.



So that's the skinny. I hope you like the mix and I hope it gets you as excited about pride (maybe half as excited?) as I am!


http://mixtape.me/p/16944




1. Pop Life-Prince. I love me a little Prince. He's a Mpls dude and he knows how to get you dancing. This song (pop life) makes me want to dance with one particular friend (MANDY!) because for whatever reason, I picture us getting down to this jam. She likes prince A LOT!
2. Everybody Got Their Something-Nikka Costa. I played this song everyday at least once my freshman year of college. My roommate finally put her foot down-I was no longer aloud to play it when she was *in the building* not just our room. Sometimes she would start dancing to it, like the music stole her body and she wasn't in control of herself. Then she would yell at me, because it gets REALLY stuck in your head and I would laugh. Oh the good old days....I don't really know much of her other music, but this song is sexy. I like it. the bass line is hot, the horns are hot and she has a pretty hot voice. 3. Come Back(light therapy) Josh Rouse. Can you believe this song was written in 04? To me it sounds like it is from 1972 (which happens to be the album title.) He does such a nice job giving this song and entire album a throw back feel. Just wait for the break down in the middle. Have you ever heard strings that sound so awesome, alone with the horns? and the Vibes? See a Vibraphone is different than say, a xylophone because the bars/keys are a soft metal. When you plug a vibe in, there are little motors that turn on within the tubes which creates a really unique/vibrant sound. Listen at the end. This is another song I listened to ALL the time in college.

4. My Lovin' (Your Never Gonna Get it)-En Vogue. Last year, or maybe the year before En Vogue played Pride. I have never had that much fun with a bunch of gay boys. The whole crowd sang along. We all remember the video, where she slaps the cheatin' boyfriend? Hell yes. This song is awesome. Jazz Flute! And again a killer breakdown. So, so good. 5. All I Need-Air. Another college favorite. This is a nice chill song. I'd like to just take this moment to have you all RELAX. it is Friday. you made it through the week. good work.

6. Two Little Girls-Ani Difranco. I loved Ani long before I knew she, or I was a dyke. But it all turned out okay. however, I think she has a husband now....anyhow, Righteous Babe (her label) is kick ass. She knows how to write a song. This one sort of helped me understand a few things back in the day. Listen to her guitar work. just amazing.
7. Get it While you Can-Janis Joplin. I don't think I have put any Janis on any of my mixes. Silly me,. She is the original bad ass mama. I wish I could have drank whiskey with her. I bet she was a blast. Anyhow, I love this song. So much soul in there! So much emotion. love it.

8. Least Complicated- Indigo Girls. I bought this on tape back in 6th grade. A camp counselor of mine had it and I loved it. I listened to that tape SO MUCH. and then I met my dear friend, Krueger, at the tender age of 11. throughout our friendship (and I bet still today, if it came on and we were together) we have broken this shit down and sung it in the 2 part harmony. Keep in mind that I have a terrible voice and krueger has an alright voice, but neither of us, by any stretch of imagination, are great singers. Man, do I miss driving around our hometown streets in one of our busted up high school cars, singing this at the top of our lungs. 9. Generator Second Floor-Freelance Whales. I put this on one of my first mixes before i figured out how to *actually* have music for you to listen to. So I added it today, because I think it is a great song. Nothing more than that.

10.Notorious Thugs-Notorious B.I.G. and Bone thugs n harmony. If this song doesn't get you pumped up, i dunno what will. This is another HUGE jam for me from high school. I would listen to it before big soccer matches, or on Fridays when walking home from school. I think I put it on every mix I made my junior year. It is GREAT for cruising. I can also sing along to most of it, believe it or not (by "sing" i mean "rap")

11. Back in Your Head- Tegan and Sara. This is a pretty catchy tune. Also, being that these ladies are A. awesome, and B. queer, makes this song very appropriate for the mix. I wish we could get THEM to play our pride. We will have to settle for a band you will see later on this mix.12. PYT-Michael Jackson. It was a year ago today that we lost our beloved king of POP. PYT is (i think) my favorite song by him. I have it on vinyl and whole currently the needle on my player is broken (curse me!) I typically throw this on right before we head out for a night on the town.


13. Dare-Gorillaz. They didn't have the new album up yet on the mix program I use, so I'm settling for this song, which was one of my favorites off their last album. I think Gorillaz know how to party, or get you ready to party. I remember playing this song a lot when I lived in the big old house in uptown with 5 other people. This house was know for elaborate-themed parties (ie: the hoe-down had bails of hay all over our house). I think the single came out right before out legendary Halloween party, because i remember hearing it a lot that night.

14. Fat Bottom Girls-Queen. I love Queen, I love this song, and Freddy Mercury helped make some of the close-minded people that actually loved Queen realize that gay people aren't too bad, or scary. we are, in fact, just like anyone else.

15. In The Navy- Village People. They are playing PRIDE tomorrow night. the one and only reason this song is on the mix.
ENJOY! and for real, come to PRIDE. even if it is for 5 minutes. You may not realize it, but a little support can go a long way! HAPPY PRIDE WEEKEND FRIENDS!

No comments:

Post a Comment