Thursday, September 9, 2010

brisk air makes me happy

Hey guys. On my ride to work today, I realized (as I do every Autumn) that Minneapolis is a beautiful town. Perhaps the best town ever (I have travelled a lot, and always want to come back to my Minne when the trip is all over....however I haven't been to ALL towns, so this is just based on my experiences as of now.)
Yes, Spring and Summer are great, and even Winter here has its charm, but Fall has my heart.

There is nothing like crossing the Mighty Mississippi on two wheels, wind in your face and gazing out to see hundreds of red/orange/yellow tree tops. Well, we aren't quit there yet, but I can feel it in my bones. It is coming. Waking up in this weather is just awesome. I'd much rather stay in my jammies, robe and slippers to drink my coffee than feel sticky and hot (ALREADY) at 630/7 in the morning. But again, that could just be me.
I have always really loved Fall. It isn't just the crisp(perfect) air, or the gorgeous changing colors, or even the throw back to hoodies, sneakers and layers. I think something inside of my just comes alive when the temps drop below 70 degrees. As I was riding home yesterday-around 5pm (it was somewhat warm out) I thought to myself "just being here on this bike, looking down University Ave, breathing in this air, I can tell that summer is over, and I'm real god damn happy!" And it is only the first week of September.
I guess Fall just brings good things my way. Everything is new(ish)-as in going back to school, getting back into a different routine, watching football, raking leaves-I love it all. I am hoping to take more bike rides. Not just commuting to work, or to a friends house (does this sort of sound like my Spring riding rant...maybe I just love cycling :) ) I mean, i think I'm just a happier person in the fall....don't you? So why all this ranting a raving over Fall? Well, in the past Ive used lists (believe it or not) to motivate me. The two types of lists that I find to be useful are the "to do this fall/winter/spring/summer" list, and the ever so special "Happy List." Now, A and I haven't had either of these lists posted since we lived in our last place in Bryn Mawr. That was over a year ago and it is time to change things! So, Now that the season have changed, I'm starting my list/s and encouraging you all to do the same. Let's get started. Nice and easy

To Do This Fall

1. Apple Picking

2. Go to a Haunted House
3. Ride to Hopkins
4. go to Duluth for a day or two to watch the colors change
5.....YOUR TURN! By all means, start your own list, or send me some ideas! What do you think is an ideal Fall "thing to do....?"



next step-THE HAPPY LIST! This is my favorite kind of list-the rules are simple (I got this idea from a guy I grew up with. His Family has had an ongoing Happy list for the last 35 years or so. I lost track the last 2 years, but I have a lot to be happy about. And I am sure you do as well.)The Happy List!
1. Finding tons of new/cheap vinyl
2. New sneakers
3. Sunflower seed bread
4. Long weekends
5. Sweet corn from the Co op.
6. my morning coffee
7. .........

alright, so Ive got the ball rolling. I think it is really good for you to have a Happy/Things to be Happy about List. Whenever I am feeling yuck about my day, or a situation, I check out the list, and it makes me smile. There are a lot of simple things in this world that we overlook. Loved one, fresh eggs, green grass, whatever. Making a list like this really makes you remember/appreciate those small things that are sometimes forgotten about.

Alright. On that note, friends, I'm out. Seriously, make a Fall to do and Happy list. If nothing else, it will give you something to do at work today :)

1 comment: