Wednesday, September 15, 2010

BABES in BIKELAND!!!

Hello ladies of Mpls (and I guess St Paul ;) ) It is that time of year again. Time for the BEST *ladies*alley cat bike race ever! BABES IN BIKELAND 4 is this Saturday, September 18th. Ill attach the link with information on registration and meeting times and whatnot as well. http://www.babesinbikeland.com/pre_register

But let me also take some time to tell you guys about this amazing race. To begin with, the race is very fun and can be a work out-roughly 20 miles (however you can do as much or as little of the actual race as you would like.) It is a Women's only race (of course being a dyke, I'm well aware that there are many different definitions of "women." basically, if you legitimately categorize yourself as female-you can race. No, it is not open to dudes who think it is funny to dress like ladies for the race.....) This alley cat is one of a kind in Minneapolis, and actually the biggest all girl race in the country (last time I checked.)
The race is so much fun. It is organized by two of Mpls finest ladies in the cycling scene, Kayla and Chelsea. (no, not me Cayla, Kayla with a solid K!) Both these ladies love bikes, and love to get more females interested in cycling/racing/meeting other ladies who like cycling/racing. The race supports ANY KIND OF RIDER!!! You can be in it to win it on your fastest track bike, or just out to meet some folks on your Sunday cruiser. it is ALL welcome!

What you may or may not know, cycling scenes tend to be sort of a boys club. This alley cat race is one of the greatest ways to break from that. I know in my personal experience, many races in town that are open to all only have a few dozen girls sign up, and rarely do more than 10 or so girls finish. In fact, last year when I won third place at the All-City, I was the third woman to finish, AND the last girl to get my manifest in before the time cutoff. This is not the case with Babes, which makes it super fun. Babes really promotes ladies to get out there, and do it. It is an AMAZING feeling to be surround by a couple hundred ladies on two wheels. It is almost like my little dream come true.
Now lets take some time to talk about the "Alley Cat." SO, alley cat races are a unique(ish) race that were originally started by bike messengers. They have come a long way in the last 10 years or so. What the race is: you get a sheet of paper called a "manifest." This information has a list of stops you NEED to make in order to complete your manifest. a completed manifest is the goal here. at the stops, you either A. get a stamp from someone working the stop(sometimes after doing something silly, like break dancing, or racing a little kid bike), or B. find some information about the stop (ie: Manifest may say the building on the corner of XX st and XX ave was built in what year. then you must find the info-which can be easy or hard to find on the building and write in the correct answer.)
(me riding the kids bike through an alley 2 years ago.)
Typically there are anywhere from 8-25 stops in race. The really cool part of these races, is that you pick your own route. You can decide which stops you want to do and in what order you want to go to them. Sometimes the winner of races aren't the absolute fastest(although this is usually true) but they are the ones who can route really well, making ever minute count. People who know the back roads and short cuts usually do well. I, myself am not the *fastest* but I can route pretty well. That is my key to success.

So getting back to Babes, the race is this Saturday. registration begins at 5pm. you will get your manifest when you register. the race starts at 6pm. The location of the meeting/starting point is The Soap Factory is on 2nd st SE and 6th Ave SE. (http://www.soapfactory.org/)

The race will finish at Angry Catfish bike and coffee bar: 4208 28th Ave S( http://www.angrycatfishbicycle.com/)
After big races like this, there are usually big/fun after parties, in which all are invited. However to get free drinks, you must be a racer. But the after party is a whole lot of fun. So come on down to Angry Catfish around 9 or so, and join in the festivities.


I think that covers everything. I have raced the last 3 years with my (race) partner in crime, KAT. Kat has the speed and energy, Ive got the routing and encouragement. together, we make an excellent team. I was just searching for a good picture of Kat and I. It must be on my other computer. Ill add it when I can (tonight!)

The first year we raced BABES together we got 5th and 6th place. Last year Kat got 9th and I got 11th. I am hoping we get in the top 15-20 this year. Each year brings out more riders, which means more competition, which I enjoy. Wish us luck! And come support girls on bikes!

2 comments:

  1. awesome!! good luck, can't wait to hear about it.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Wishing you and Kat and all my MPLS babes the best of luck!! --Amanda A

    ReplyDelete