Thursday, November 11, 2010

36 degrees this morning

Good Morning, lovelies! Today is the first time I road my bike to work in a few weeks.  I'm not sure exactly what happens to my morning, but 90% of the time when I decide to drive rather than bike it is because I am running late.  This morning was no different, I was running late.  But I decided that running late is a stupid excuse not to ride.  I used to commute like 7 plus miles a day and now my mini 3 mile commute has become few and far between because I'm running late?  LAME.  So this morning, I said I don't care if I'm late, I'm still going to ride.  And it was a wonderful choice.  I need to ride more often.  Like everyday. 

Anyhow, This post is just a display of my gear in 36degree weather. 

First off, my upper body: I have my base layer (a sweat wicking long sleeve from REI, because it was on sale there, but you can find these at any sports store, target, Kaplan bros, gander mt. and about 100 other places.

On top of that, I have a long sleeve wool jersey (I think I would switch this out for a short sleeve wool jersey.  My arms were pretty warm by the time I got to work. A wool sweater works too, or artificial materials.  But like I said, maybe short sleeve would be more comfortable.)

My top layer:  a thin wind breaker (my mom got this for me a handful of years ago.  I never thought much of it, but I wear it all the time when I am riding.  The only time I don't usually wear it is when there is any sort of precipitation, or moisture.  It really doesn't do well with water.)
My lower half:  I'm wearing some fleece lined pants today (from old navy, but you can find them at kaplan bros, fleet farm, gander mt.  or even kohls. If I wanted to, I could have worn my long johns and thinner jeans/pants.  But I was feeling these today.)
I often times wear either soccer socks or leg warmers to keep my legs warm.  Today I went with soccer socks.
And under that some cycling socks, topped with my MacBeth skate shoes (which are great for fall/spring riding.)
I wore a neck warmer made of fleece that I've had for years.  When it gets really cold out, I usually have a bandanna over that, but I think I just need to make a new neck warmer.  I also wore a pair of Mountain Hard wear awesome gloves that I got for Christmas a few years back from my Aunt.  They are really warm when it is cold, lined with softer fabric and straight up awesome.  Lastly, I wore a fleece/wool homemade cycling cap that I found after the Babes in Bikeland race this year.  It was in the street a few blocks from the after party, so I picked it up.

And this is the whole thing together....in my beautiful office filled with beautiful art work.... :)
And now for some work clothes.........

There you have it folks.  I hope to do this again when the temps drop even more. I think it is useful (well, I read a blog that does something similar, and I find it helpful)
Happy Thursday, or as I like to call it (well, really, what Mandy likes to call it) Friday Junior!!!!

1 comment: