Wednesday, August 11, 2010

Traverse City!


Hi Friends. I'm sorry I missed last weeks mix. I was in a training all day/week. yes, that includes my birthday! Anyhow, This week Amanda, Parker and Scarlett are heading out of town for a little road trip. We are heading to Northern Michigan (not to be confused with Upper Michigan. This is in MI proper, just the northern part...) I have family up there and haven't seen them in a while. It also happens to be my favorite place to vacation EVER! I love it up in Cherry Country. seriously...but this means a 12 hour drive from MPLS. hopefully this goes smoothly :)


Anyhow, we leave tomorrow, so I thought I should get the mix out early, instead of missing it all together. So, here it is-nothing too fancy. Just songs that I like a lot.




1. In The Mood- Glenn Miller and his Orchestra. Ive been digging on the Jazz a lot lately. It reminds me of my Grandpa, who is a Big Band Drummer (since age 10...now he is in his late 80's and still plays. fucking cool!). It is also featured in the newer (Lindsay Lohan) version of Parent Trap, which you all know I know and Love! I hope you like those horns!
2. Soft Shock-Yeah Yeah Yeahs. The more I hear their music, the more I realize why a lot of people like them. I am sort of over the whole Karen O is so hip and weird and cool thing, but i like the music. This song comes on on my pandora a lot and I usually take a little break at that point to enjoy the music.

3. Lost and Found-The Radio Dept. I just recently heard a song by these guys and enjoyed the mix of organic and electronic music. You know I really like that. I think the airy flow of the vocals highlight what they are doing here. and the simple strums of the guitar give off a retro sort of feel.
4. When I'm with You-Best Coast. So this is some awesome chick(mainly) rock. I like the lo-fi, surf pop sound. The chick drummer (HELL YEAH!) was actually in Vivian girls before this band. and she is rad. I hope you feel the summer time, as I do, with this one.

5. I Bet You Look Good On the Dance Floor-Arctic Monkeys. I first heard this song after a friend of mine drove down to Texas several years back for South by Southwest. She saw these guys live, before they had a name for themselves and came back ranting and raving. About 6 months later, they were huge. But she put this song on a mix for me that summer and it sort of became my anthem. I still love it today!

6. Young Bride-Midlake. This is one of those songs that I seriously looked for for years. I had heard it on the radio some time ago and really liked it. But like any song that you don't know the name, it sort of slipped away from me. I heard it again for the first time in a while the other day and decided to include it. I like the strings a lot and the harmonies.

7.Camera Talk-Local Natives. These guys are perfect for road trips. I recently discovered that. They are coming back to town this fall...get tickets now!.

8. Poker Face-Lady Gaga. this is my favorite Lady Gaga song. I really enjoy it. It makes me want to dance. and in fact, it came on at a wedding we were attending this weekend and I lost my shit and was dancing like crazy. think what you may, I like the Lady. I think if she frustrates you, then either you don't get it, or you do and she is winning.

9. Danger! High Voltage.-Electric Six. I know nothing about this band. But back in the day one of my friends (my favorite gay boy!) Nick used to do some crazy dancing and singing whenever this song came on and we were dancing. I think it is a pretty fun upbeat little ditty.
10. Wake up-the Walkmen. I really like the Walkmen. Another band that I only know a little bit of, but really enjoy what I know. I love this guys voice, I like their sound. And this song is RAD. I love the upbeat drumming-very Cayla. throw in some piano, the claves and jingle bells and I'm sold!

11. Don't Take My Shadow-Kings Go Forth. This is Milwaukee Band that I just recently heard about. I think it is a great Milwaukee sound. You have the hipster shit going on with afro-cuban stuff as well. This Rhythm section is hot. Along with the horns. I just like that it is a new/different sound than what we are all used to hearing (or maybe that is just me...)
12. Are You Gonna Go My Way-Lenny Kravitz. Besides thinking Lenny is hot as hell, I LOVE CINDY BLACKMAN. I think she may have been one of the big influences when I was young to become a drummer. I remember seeing this video as a kid and thinking A. is that a girl drummer....who ROCKS? and B. man, she is pretty :) Anyhow, I hope you enjoy this THURSDAY throw back to 92, or whenever it came out.

13. Tuxedo Junction-Gene Krupa. This is the first song I ever played in 7th grade Jazz Band. I have really liked it since then. And to mention another drummer....Gene Krupa is a killer Jazz drummer. He and Buddy Rich top the charts!
Alright folks, that is that! I am currently packing the car and getting the dogs prepped for the big road trip. A is at work, waiting for me to pick her up so we can hit the rock! I hope y'all have a nice weekend. And yes, the picture below IS lake Michigan....looks pretty different than in MKE or the CHI, huh? *can't wait!*

No comments:

Post a Comment