Wednesday, December 1, 2010

10 Degrees

It is getting a little colder outside. This is the time when it starts to get easier to say something like "screw it, I'm driving today."  But I'm very much trying not to do that.  My commute is roughly 20 minutes, which is beyond doable.  But some mornings are harder than others.  The main issue is just getting all bundled up.  Once I have my gear on, it isn't too hard to get out the door, but that initial decision to put on long underwear or puss out. Today, I did the sensible thing and rode my bike.  But as you can see from the bike rack at work, the numbers are dwindling.

So here we go....wardrobe check at 10 degrees (although according to Patrick Hammer, it was 16, but the TCF bank temp said 10 and that does not include the windchill, which pushed us to the negative side of things).

First layer-long underwear (cuddle duds on the bottom-silk and awesome, REI sweat wicking 94% polyester/6% spandex top) and (very) thin pair of wool socks (should have gone with a slightly thicker pair...10 degrees is cooler than you think)
 Next layer-Jeans (could have gone with lined pants, or my carhardts for extra warmth, but I was ok) And an REI (part acrylic, part polyester) riding top, thicker wool socks and bandanna.
 Next a fleece neck warmer, leg warmers(I got a pair from Target, which were cheap, but you can also just cut the sleeves off of an old sweater) wool/flannel cycling cap, helmet, goggles, and my jacket/shell (old columbia ski coat.  works wonders)
 These goggles are AWESOME! this is my first stab at a good pair and they made my face SO happy this morning.  They were 16 bucks at REI (on sale, and worth every penny) but I would have paid more.  They really made the wind much less of an issue than it usually is.
 And this is my new winter/polo helmet.  I have been thinking about one of these guys for the last year or so.  On black Friday I finally broke down and bought myself one.  Yes, a little pricey, but again, worth it.  It is way comfy, and I feel extra safe when riding on snow and ice. 
And lastly, these awesome Lowa boots. These babies are great.  The first 2 winters I rode I wore old water proofed Skate shoes.  While they were pretty durable, my toesies always got a bit cold.  So last fall I picked these up on the WAAAAY cheap (thanks A!) and haven't turned back. 
And that is that.  I hope I'm not boring any of you too much.  I am dorky and find things like this interesting.  Up next: I'm making stir fry tonight and it WILL be good and I WILL report back with a recipe.
Happy Wednesday!

No comments:

Post a Comment